Milk jug holders for the bar

elusive espresso... theorize, philosophize!

Milk jug holders for the bar

Postby Alistair Durie on Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:56 pm

I've heard reports of coffee bars using a bin, perhaps insulated, perhaps in San Fransisco, that holds two gallon jugs for milk service as well as a soy container. Looking for a source for such a thing.
Alistair Durie
Elysian Coffee | photos | tweets
Alistair Durie
admin

full name: Alistair Durie
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com
: www.coffeed.com

Re: Milk jug holders for the bar

Postby aaronmbraun on Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:53 am

Alistair -

Hugo told me about something like that. I think it was built into the counter underneath & in front of the bar. I believe it was basically a trough with a drain in it that could be filled with ice. Set at a level that minimizes bending down to get stuff out of fridges during service - a back saver. This one sounded custom built to me.

I would think your best bet for something like that would be kitchen supply or a company that specializes in building bars. I believe there's a company in Burnaby that specializes in that - but can't remember their name off the top of my head.
aaronmbraun

full name: Aaron Braun
company: Matchstick Coffee Roasters

Postby Mike Strumpf on Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:34 am

The custom milk holder is at Logan's Espresso in Boulder and can be seen here. Aaron is right on, it is more or less a metal box with a drain at the bottom. Fill it up with ice, rest the milk jugs on top of the ice, and then refill the ice after a few hours. I bet Quest/Russell Foods has some sort of ice bath or chafing dish that could be bought off the shelf and then you could install a drain at the bottom. That isn't a complete off the shelf solution, but it wouldn't take too much work.
Mike Strumpf
Swiss Water Decaffeinated Coffee Co.
Mike Strumpf

full name: Mike Strumpf
company: Swiss Water Decaffeinated Coffee Co.
: http://www.swisswater.com

Postby Mat Derago on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:18 am

We use a milk dispenser from SilverKing. It fits 2 6 gallon bags in boxes. There is no bending or lifting while making every drink. It was a must in our buildout and I am surprised more cafes do not use them.
Mat Derago

full name: Mat
company: Shot Tower Coffee
: www.shottowercoffee.com

Postby Sam Schroeder on Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:49 pm

Alistair-

We use this
http://www.espressoparts.com/2016?&search_id=1467585
at one of our stores. We put ice in the bin and it is still wide enough to fit two gallons of milk as well as 32oz soy and chai containers. However, I wish it was a little deeper. Milstead & Co in Seattle has some sweet looking metal, deep counter-top containers with drains in the bottom they use for the same purpose.

Mat-
I find the milk dispenser very intriguing. How do you like it? How fast does the milk come out, is it adjustable? Does it dribble or create any mess? How do you have it built into your bar, i.e. is it built into the front or back bar? is it small enough to tuck it away for nice visually clean aesthetic?

Thanks,
Sam
Sam Schroeder

full name: Sam Schroeder
company: Olympia Coffee Roasting
: www.olycoffee.com

Postby Alistair Durie on Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:35 pm

Thanks all. Some good options, perhaps custom the way to go.

On milk dispensing units, milk (available here) is much more expensive in those large box formats. I have only ever seen hotels and large institutions use them.
Alistair Durie
Elysian Coffee | photos | tweets
Alistair Durie
admin

full name: Alistair Durie
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com
: www.coffeed.com