El Salvador, La Montana CoE

elusive espresso... theorize, philosophize!

El Salvador, La Montana CoE

Postby SL28ave on Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:10 pm

El Salvador, La Montana, CoE 1st place, raw vac packed at origin. Not roasted into 2nd crack.

Jim Schulman claimed that during a traditional cupping of this coffee, it first struck him like he'd "been mugged by a Neanderthal." (CoffeeCuppers.com) One conclusion he reached was this coffee is not suitable for espresso. There are light notes of heavy Assam tea that this coffee just has. I worried if Jim was right, until I found something unexpected in the demitasse...

The sweetest shot I've ever tasted...

There was the sensation of sucrose. It packed a shimmering punch that instantly left me too delirious to find other descriptors. Espresso is fast, and by the time I pulled myself together it was too late to look for the refined perfume this coffee shows when drip brewed.

Three shots later, not bad, but not a complete repeat of the sweetest experience.
-Peter Lynagh
SL28ave

full name: Peter Lynagh
company: student

Postby Mark Prince on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:00 pm

"mugged by a neanderthal"

:D :D :D :D :D

That's the kind of tasting descriptives we need more of in coffee lol ;)

Reminds me a bit of Andrew Morrison's sometimes-sly wit in his "Eat Magazine" restaurant reviews.

Mark
PS. Purposely biting my tongue from any comments about pulling as espresso ;)

PPS. I didn't bite my tongue enough?
Mark Prince
Just in it for the espresso and coffee, Vancouver BC
Mark Prince

full name: Mark Prince
company: CoffeeGeek.com
: www.CoffeeGeek.com

Re: El Salvador, La Montana CoE

Postby Jamin Haddox on Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:47 pm

Peter,

I have some experience roasting this coffee, and while I'm not sure it's the "sweetest shot I've ever tasted", it's ineed a remarkable and unique espresso. Roasted to the kiss of 2nd, it has incredible intensity of fruit (reminds me of tamarind), very syrupy and sweet, and finishes very clean with a distinct caramel note. In milk, it tastes (to my buds) exactly like a Werther's Original.

Cheers,
Jamin
Jamin Haddox

full name: Jamin Haddox
company: Cafe Imports
: http://www.cafeimports.com

Re:

Postby Jeff Givens on Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:42 am

mugged by a neanderthal

Jeff Givens

full name: Jeff Givens
company: Southern Skies Coffee Roasters

Postby SL28ave on Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:32 am

Jamin Haddox wrote: Roasted to the kiss of 2nd, it has incredible intensity of fruit (reminds me of tamarind), very syrupy and sweet, and finishes very clean with a distinct caramel note. In milk, it tastes (to my buds) exactly like a Werther's Original.

Much agreed, Jamin!! I'll try to have a Terroir espresso roast of the 2008 Montana sent your way later this year. It's cupping buttery and nicely delicate this year. Los Planes seems syrupy and sweet. And then the CoE is coming up. Of course Cafe Imports isn't a retail operation, but I'd love to try one of your Pacamara roasts some day.

Enjoy Guatemala.

-Peter
-Peter Lynagh
SL28ave

full name: Peter Lynagh
company: student

Postby Jim Schulman on Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:39 pm

I've been away, and am late to this thread. Thanks for the plug, Peter. Also, now I have a place to send anyone who calls me an SO extremist, so thanks for that too.

Here's something I've been mulling. For great and rare coffees like this Montana, is it legitimate to prepare it in any but the best way? This coffee struck me as completely superb brewed and then allowed to cool some before drinking. Maybe Peter has unlocked a roast that makes the espresso even better. But whatever way tastes best, and gets the most out of the bean, shouldn't that be how a coffee lover should prepare it?

The point seems obvious, but it could lead to a very narrow minded approach, i.e. this coffee is only for brewing, and that one only for espresso. etc. etc.
Jim Schulman
coffeecuppers.com
Jim Schulman

Postby Mike Perry on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:54 am

We had the auction coffee last year and have more this year. I guess because of price and only having the smaller auction lot in the past we never tried as espresso. We were only roasting much lighter, just out of 1st crack, and did not consider as espresso. This year we have more at at a more affordable non-auction price so I will have to experiment. As a drip I love it and find it extremely sweet yet balanced so I will try my production roast as espresso plus roast another batch to kiss of 2nd as suggested and feature as a SO. Let you know if it works.
mike
Mike Perry

full name: mike perry
company: Coffee Klatch Roasting
: www.klatchroasting.com

Postby Oliver on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:15 am

Not that anyone asked, but this coffee is my favorite single origin espresso to date roasted by Terroir in May of this year.
It stopped me in my tracks.
Others who tasted it with me thought I was insane, though?
Oliver

full name: Oliver Stormshak
company: Olympia Coffee Roasting Co.
: www.olympiacoffee.com

Postby JavaJ on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:22 am

I received a few (roasted) bags courtesy of PT's Coffee back in December of '07. My first thought when cupping it was that it was too delicate to pull as espresso. But as we like to pull anything and everything as espresso, my nephew Clint and I pulled a few shots while visiting Andrew Barnett at Ecco Caffe. We only had a half pound and it was tricky to dial in. I must confess, that as much as I would get after my baristas about being able to dial in any coffee in 3 shots, we didn't quite get it on the third and last shot. But it was pretty close, and everyone agreed that if we had one more shot to get perfect, it would be bomb.

J. Valenta
JavaJ Espresso Bar
JavaJ

full name: J. Valenta
company: Valenta Consulting, LLC