Crema Consistancy vs. Roaster Type

elusive espresso... theorize, philosophize!

Crema Consistancy vs. Roaster Type

Postby Phil Robertson on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:18 pm

Roasted coffee age and storage aside (let's assume 7 days off roast, packed in paper bags), and roast profile aside (assume for a moment that we're taking about a "good" espresso roast profile on any particular roaster)...

Does the consistency of crema (i.e. tight bubbles vs. wide) correlate to the style of roaster that the coffee was roasted on? For example high air-flow drum roasters vs. lower air-flow drum roasters. Fluid bed vs. drum? Highly insulated vs. low insulation? We might as well use brands here: Diedrich vs. Probat vs. Loring vs. Renegade vs. Sivitz vs. etc. For those using "control-able" roasters (i.e. air flow can be controlled) what do you find?

I guess I'm really taking about the affect of convection vs. conduction vs. radiant heat?

Thoughts?
-Phil

Phil Robertson
Phil & Sebastian Coffee Company
http://www.philsebastian.com
Phil Robertson

full name: Phil Robertson
company: Phil & Sebastian Coffee Co.
: www.philsebastian.com

Re: Crema Consistancy vs. Roaster Type

Postby Jason Haeger on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:07 am

To clarify, it looks like you're asking how different kinds of heat effect the development of "oils" and CO2 during roasting.

I'm not sure who would be equipped to test something like that. Perceptions/opinions exist, probably, but I'm inclined to believe that the green coffee's factors have more to do with it than roast factors, though I could be dead wrong, and they are equally important. (I am not a roaster)

Interesting question. I am hoping for (though not expecting) some insight from the replies.
Jason Haeger

full name: Jason Haeger
company: AJ Coffee Company | EspressoTrainer.com
: http://www.ajcoffeeco.com