John Bicht in the news

elusive espresso... theorize, philosophize!

John Bicht in the news

Postby terry on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:31 am

I would guess that there are a few here who might be interested in this story.

http://www.denverpost.com/lifestyles/ci_11331694
Terry Z
Espressoparts.com
Olympiacoffee.com
terry

Re: John Bicht in the news

Postby phaelon56 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:28 am

"The experiment I like to do, I'll give someone a shot at a 9.00-bar pressure measure. Then we make it at 9.05 bar, and they taste that and go, 'Oh! Oh, yeah, that's obvious!'

"The proof is when I change the pressure back to 9.00 and make another shot that tastes just like the first one. People think the difference from one espresso shot to the next is the coffee bean, but we've determined it's the preparation of the shot."

He uses "determined" in the scientific sense of the word.

Bicht, who lives near Loveland, is a scientist and an engineer who's a coffee geek at heart.

In attempting to re-create the cups of espresso he and his wife enjoyed in New York City's Little Italy, Bicht designed an espresso grinder so precise that it has made him a celebrity in the coffee world, where true aficionados are at least as exacting as wine snobs.

I'm not sure I have a case to rest but I rest it anyway. :wink:

I agree that preparation is crucial but I always thought there was a difference between different types of coffee bean. And I have not been so fortunate as to get good espresso in Little Italy (granted - it may have been different 20 or 30 years ago before I tried any espresso in that neighborhood).

AndyS has a Versalab grinder and seems to like it very much but I'm not seeing how an output of 40 grinders per year at $1550 can be a sustainable business model.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Postby Tim Dominick on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:55 pm

phaelon56 wrote:AndyS has a Versalab grinder and seems to like it very much but I'm not seeing how an output of 40 grinders per year at $1550 can be a sustainable business model.

When you engineer semiconductor machines and collect royalties from other designs, grossing $62K with your hobby seems to be quite sustainable.
Tim Dominick

full name: Tim Dominick
company: Sacred Grounds Coffee
: www.sacred-grounds.com

Postby Andy Schecter on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:04 pm

"The experiment I like to do, I'll give someone a shot at a 9.00-bar pressure measure. Then we make it at 9.05 bar, and they taste that and go, 'Oh! Oh, yeah, that's obvious!'

"The proof is when I change the pressure back to 9.00 and make another shot that tastes just like the first one.

People can claim anything, but the situation obviously cries out for verification by blind tasting. You up for it, John?
-AndyS
Schectermatic(tm), the oldest, most trusted brand of espresso grinder shnozzola
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
Andy Schecter