91 pod

elusive espresso... theorize, philosophize!

91 pod

Postby Rich Westerfield on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:26 pm

Ken Davids gives an ESE pod a 91 rating.

Quote from coffeereview.com - "On the other hand, the two blends from small American specialty roasters, the Island Joe's 90 Mile Stretch Espresso (91) and the Supreme Bean (88) were both impressive, in part perhaps because they were fresher than their overseas counterparts. The Island Joe's in particular stood out. The grind in the pod was perfect, netting a 26-second shot with all the fundamental sensory virtues of a fine straight espresso: viscous mouthfeel, natural sweetness, great depth of sensation. However, how much of this success was owing to the fact that the pod was fresh, perhaps only a week or two past grinding and packaging? Espresso beans straight out of the roaster are far too volatile and seething with off-gassing of carbon dioxide to make good espresso, but once the espresso is ground and packaged I strongly suspect that sooner is better for consumption."

While many have issues with Ken's rating system, numbers are numbers and consumers who pay attention to such things will make assumptions.

Anyone here taste this stuff? Thoughts?
Rich Westerfield, Co-owner
aldocoffee.com
I'm just here to regulate funkiness.
Rich Westerfield

Re: 91 pod

Postby phaelon56 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:53 am

I have tasted 90 mile stretch on site at their small roastery which is just off Duval Street in Key West. That said... the roaster doubled as a barista... if I recall correctly they were using an Astra SuperAuto... and although it was not only the best but actually the only half-way decent espresso I could find in Key West... it was no 91. But I didn't have a shot pulled at optimal conditions. I did buy some whole bean that they ground for me and I used it for drip coffee in the hotel room but I don't recall the varietal. They're roasting on a small Diedrich and doing a good job on the roasting.

I'd like to know more about the system ken is using for evaluating pod espresso. He mentions the grind so obviously they pulled a pod open for inspection but are they puling the shots pod style or just pulling the coffee out of the pod and doing a traditional distribute and tamp?
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Re: 91 pod

Postby phaelon56 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:54 am

I just read the entire article Ken wrote on pod systems in general -

http://www.coffeereview.com/article.cfm?ID=152

It is in my opinion a lucid, well researched, even handed and very thorough examination of such systems. What was not clear to me is whether the numerical ratings were from a scale used only for pod style or if it's the exact same scale as that used for espresso. Either way - good reading and worth the time.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee