Kenyan espresso

elusive espresso... theorize, philosophize!

Kenyan espresso

Postby SL28ave on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:34 pm

http://www.terroircoffee.com/store/more ... hp?gid=221
"Ideal for French Press and Espresso!
This coffee is roasted slightly darker than our other Kenya coffees to produce a rich more caramelized, less acidic cup ideal for brewing methods applying pressure. Ripe blackberry and sweet citrus notes embedded in caramel."

http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.afric ... aroini2009
"A Kenya for espresso??? I did not think it could be done, not with those levels of acidity, and with roast flavors that become acrid and burnt tasting at normal espresso roast levels; into 2nd crack, FC+-Vienna-French. But here is something of a wonder. A super-balanced, restrained Kenya that works as a brewed coffee, sweet and resonant, and at FC roast, just to verge of 2nd crack perhaps, produces a beautiful, sweet, bright Single Origin Espresso."

I remember when Kentaro Maruyama tasted a carefully prepared shot of Kangocho last Summer. He didn't say it was too bright. He said, "It is like a hologram."

The longest-lingering sweetness I remember ever getting out of espresso was from a Kenya.

One very odd characteristic I've come across when working with Kenyan espresso, even when darker roasted, is that there is less crema than other SOs at the same roast level.
-Peter Lynagh
SL28ave

full name: Peter Lynagh
company: student

Re: Kenyan espresso

Postby Instaurator on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:23 pm

"A Kenya for espresso??? I did not think it could be done, not with those levels of acidity
I used to think that too but then I had one from a company called Toby's Estate which was really good and then I started experimenting with aging it slightly and I've had some great shots. That is the true beauty of coffee: there is always something different to try....
Instaurator

full name: Instaurator
company: The Espresso Quest
: www.espressoquest.com

Postby Joe Hsu on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:16 am

SL28ave wrote:I remember when Kentaro Maruyama tasted a carefully prepared shot of Kangocho last Summer. He didn't say it was too bright. He said, "It is like a hologram."

The longest-lingering sweetness I remember ever getting out of espresso was from a Kenya.

One very odd characteristic I've come across when working with Kenyan espresso, even when darker roasted, is that there is less crema than other SOs at the same roast level.

We try used the Kenya Ngurueri as a SOs and it tastes very sweet,jucy and round long aftertase, very nice coffee. Peter i agree with you sometimes Kenya espresso's cream seems less than the other SOs and even they are 100% fully washed coffee.
Joe Hsu

full name: Joe Hsu
company: Orsir Coffee(Taiwan)
: www.orsir.tw

Postby Aaron Ultimo on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:45 am

As many of you probably know, Danielle Glasky just won the SERBC with a single origin Thunguri from Nyeri, Kenya. It is reported to be "delicious." 8)
Aaron Ultimo
Ultimo Coffee
Philadelphia Pa
Aaron Ultimo

full name: aaron ultimo
company: ultimo coffee
: www.ultimocoffee.wordpress.com

Postby SL28ave on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:59 pm

Aaron Ultimo wrote:As many of you probably know, Danielle Glasky just won the SERBC with a single origin Thunguri from Nyeri, Kenya. It is reported to be "delicious." 8)

Nice to see you tonight, Aaron. It was fun. As usual, too bad there wasn't more time.

David Flynn of Peregrine pulled some shots of Thunguri an hour ago. Incredible. One shot had especially dense and powerful black currant in the retro-nasal (However, I'm kinda tired = perhaps not 100% precise.). (Is there a better word than retro-nasal?!?!?!?)
-Peter Lynagh
SL28ave

full name: Peter Lynagh
company: student