multi-head pre-infusion on Cyncra

elusive espresso... theorize, philosophize!

multi-head pre-infusion on Cyncra

Postby Luke Mutton on Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:13 am

Hi all, hope someone can shed some light on this for me.
I have heard that you cannot pre-infuse on one head whilst another head is brewing. I have always followed this method as I've heard it leads to inconsistency if you do otherwise.
We have a new barista whom I just found out today had been pre-infusing on one head whilst another is brewing. I said please dont do that anymore and could give no other reason than I hear it causes inconsistency.
Please could someone enlighten me with some specific cause and effect analyses of this practice?

In hope

KW
Luke Mutton

full name: Luke Mutton
company: Dead Man Espresso
: www.deadmanespresso.com.au

Re: multi-head pre-infusion on Cyncra

Postby jepy on Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:17 am

If you have a multi pump"Hydra" version of the Cyncra you can. This is because the pumps are individually plumbed in to each group separately as well as the pump switches being separate.
On the original Cyncra you can't use pre infuse on more than one group because all levers are activating the single pump once any the lever is in brew position. So what's happening is that if one is brewing and you try to pre infuse another, the second group goes to full on pressure(minus gicleur size restriction) as soon as you activate the lever to the pre infuse position.
jepy

Postby nick on Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:50 am

Luke Mutton wrote:Please could someone enlighten me with some specific cause and effect analyses of this practice?

In turn, Luke, I have to ask you: Why are you pre-infusing on the Cyncra? With the flow-restriction on those groups, many people would argue that pre-infusion is unnecessary.

Pull a few shots using preinfusion (the way you normally do), then pull a few without preinfusion (just turning on the group all the way). Of course, you'll need to adjust the grind to make it a little coarser, but taste all of those shots and see what you think.

Good luck either way!
Nick Cho
nick

full name: Nicholas Cho
company: Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters
: http://nickcho.com
: http://wreckingballcoffee.com/

Postby IanClark on Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:55 am

Luke, the best way to understand why is to open up the machine! Look inside your right panel and track the pumped inlet through.

I'll note that with our setup pre-infusion does positively impact profile (impacting body, sweetness and flavour) but I don't doubt that some setups could work better with a gigleur-exclusive pre-infusion. A fun if brief experiment to do.
Ian Clark
Bridgehead
Ottawa, ON
IanClark

full name: Ian Clark
company: Bridgehead
: www.bridgehead.ca

Postby Luke Mutton on Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:51 am

thanks, guys

KW
Luke Mutton

full name: Luke Mutton
company: Dead Man Espresso
: www.deadmanespresso.com.au

Postby IanClark on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:33 am

By the way, you lose about 5psi per open group (about 5%)
Ian Clark
Bridgehead
Ottawa, ON
IanClark

full name: Ian Clark
company: Bridgehead
: www.bridgehead.ca