Thicker pour / double vs. triple baksets

elusive espresso... theorize, philosophize!

Thicker pour / double vs. triple baksets

Postby jpscoffee on Fri May 22, 2009 5:21 am

Comparing espresso pours; Over time I have noticed that sometimes we have a pour that comes out in the classic "tail of the mouse" thin stream. Then at other times where it pours out in a thicker, more crema-laden pour. The total shot time will be about the same and the resulting beverage will be similar volume (the thicker pour will have much more crema when just poured). Aside from the fact that one of the coffees may be a little fresher than the other (we do age all of our espresso 12 days), or other small nuances, what might the taste variations be on comparing those two shots? And what are any known causes, possibly related to grind, portion or other espresso related issue?

Second question. Has anyone else done some objective testing between using a double coffee basket and a triple coffee basket? If so, what observations or conclusions did you come up with?
jpscoffee

full name: Jack Groot
company: Midwest Barista School and JP's Coffee
: www.midwestbaristaschool.com

Re: Thicker pour / double vs. triple baksets

Postby Emily Oak on Tue May 26, 2009 7:10 pm

i could think of about 50 questions to ask you - was it a blend of coffee or single origin, what kind of machine were you using, how were you dosing, grinding, tamping - did you use the same dose on each? naked or spouts?

we have done basic testing on double vs. triple baskets for Synesso in relation to our blends of coffee to play with taste performance and dosing/aging of different coffees and found a variety of results but had to control the temperature, dosing methodology, dosing volume etc.

we found variation in taste (obviously) density (subjectively) mouthfeel, extraction time, pre-infusion just to name a few. Our testing was mostly in relation to flavour penetration in milk based coffees and whether or not a slightly heftier dose in the triple would cut more into milk.

Mostly the triple resulted in overextraction in the cup unless we dosed down (visually) in comparison to the triple, and used a finer grind.
Emily Oak

full name: Emily Oak
company: Australian Independent Roasters
: www.airoasters.com

Postby jpscoffee on Wed May 27, 2009 3:05 am

I didn't want to list all of my details, because I knew there would always be more questions. So I gave no parameters so that any respondent would answer from his or her experience. Thanks!
jpscoffee

full name: Jack Groot
company: Midwest Barista School and JP's Coffee
: www.midwestbaristaschool.com

Postby Dan Streetman on Fri May 29, 2009 1:39 pm

Emily Oak wrote:Mostly the triple resulted in overextraction in the cup unless we dosed down (visually) in comparison to the triple, and used a finer grind.

I'm not sure I understand this, can you elaborate?
Dan Streetman
Dan Streetman

full name: Dan Streetman
company: Irving Farm Coffee Company
: http://www.irvingfarm.com/