"Foam Knife 1" steam tip tips?

elusive espresso... theorize, philosophize!

"Foam Knife 1" steam tip tips?

Postby phaelon56 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:05 pm

I'm always open to improvements, even minor ones, as the little increments can add up to significant change. Just acquired the new "Foam Knife" steam tip from espressoparts.com and although I have tested it only a half dozen times I have thus far been unable to get foam that's even close to as good as my results with a standard tip - much less better.

http://www.espressoparts.com/EP_TX_FOAMKNIFE1

Have pinged customer service at Espresso Parts but until I get their reply... have any of you tried this part? A coffee industry acquaintance whose opinions I hold in high regard has seen it in action and verifies that it is indeed capable of producing superior foam. I'm looking for hints on technique.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Re: "Foam Knife 1" steam tip tips?

Postby phaelon56 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:48 am

Update: on my seventh attempt I switched to non-organic 1% milk instead of the organic I had been using. Success! Concerned that it was just a milk difference I switched back to organic and easily repeated the same excellent results.

YMMV but my success was achieved by moving the tip a bit further below the surface and closer to the center of the pitcher rather than the outer wall. I kept the same wand angle 9roughly 55%) and place the tip at about the 1/3 point of the pitcher diameter.

I need to tweak the amount of pressure to use (valve position) as it seems to benefit from a slightly greater pressure than I use with a standard tip. That being said - the results were STELLAR. It's more challenging to make great foam with 1% milk than it is with whole milk but on my first success with the foam knife tip I got foam that was denser, more velvety and longer lasting than I have ever gotten with any tip before and with any type of milk.

It's expensive - no doubt - but I think it's worth it.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
phaelon56

Postby theotherone on Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:56 pm

What's better than one Foam Knife? Three Foam Knives in one tip. I can't find it on the website, but I bought it from EPNW at Coffee Fest Chicago where I got to try both. The Knife works great on larger volumes of milk, but the Knives tip is vectored, slightly slower, and will spin the milk in just about any position. Great for smaller volumes of milk. Same shape, all three holes are laser machined. If you want it to go a bit faster, you can always bump up the pressure on your steam boiler.

It's not called the Knives tip, maybe it's Whirlpool, or Spinneroo. Something like that.
Jonathan S. Jarrow
Harbinger Coffee, LLC

"Happy Martinique! Hospitable land!
In a new world, you were the first
To gather and fertilize this delightful Asiatic berry,
And, in a French soil, to ripen its Ambrosia!
theotherone

full name: Jonathan Jarrow
company: Harbinger Coffee, LLC
: www.harbingercoffee.com

Postby theotherone on Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:01 pm

Jonathan S. Jarrow
Harbinger Coffee, LLC

"Happy Martinique! Hospitable land!
In a new world, you were the first
To gather and fertilize this delightful Asiatic berry,
And, in a French soil, to ripen its Ambrosia!
theotherone

full name: Jonathan Jarrow
company: Harbinger Coffee, LLC
: www.harbingercoffee.com

Postby phaelon56 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:48 am

By controlling the amount of steam I have been successful in steaming as little as 2 to 3 oz of milk with the standard foam knife. I've done as much as 10 to 12 oz but typically do about 4 to 5 oz.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
phaelon56