If your Thermofilter / Scace device / whatever is leaking...

elusive espresso... theorize, philosophize!

If your Thermofilter / Scace device / whatever is leaking...

Postby gscace on Thu May 18, 2006 9:14 am

If your thermofilter / Scace device / whatever you call it is leaking, email me at gscace at earthlink dot net or phone my cell at two for zero two five two zero two fore to.

I've seen and repaired a couple of leakers now and I know of a couple others whose owners haven't contacted me. That either means the leak is on the order of a couple drops and is inconsequential, or they don't have my contact info.

Early devices were made using a bedding compound that bonded the plastic insert to the filter basket. The pressure from brewing forces the insert down into the bedding compound, sealing the device. For the most part the sealing is fine, but I've now fixed three and I've heard thru the grapevine of at least two others. Leaking manifests itself in two ways. In one instance, a few drops leak as pressure builds. Then the systems seals. In this instance the leakage is pretty inconsequential and it's prolly not worth doing anything about. However, substantial leakage ought to be corrrected.

Second generation deevices use an o-ring seal, which so far seems to be trouble free.

If you have any questions about your Scace device thang, please contact me.

-Greg Scace
gscace

full name: Gregory Scace
company: Espresso Research