Roasting Books

roasting & roastery operations

Roasting Books

Postby theotherone on Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:47 pm

I've noticed a dearth in availible books about roasting. I am a huge fan of reading words on paper, but have not yet found anything solid to read about roasting. Any recommendations?
Jonathan S. Jarrow
Harbinger Coffee, LLC

"Happy Martinique! Hospitable land!
In a new world, you were the first
To gather and fertilize this delightful Asiatic berry,
And, in a French soil, to ripen its Ambrosia!
theotherone

full name: Jonathan Jarrow
company: Harbinger Coffee, LLC
: www.harbingercoffee.com

Re: Roasting Books

Postby Scott Rao on Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:15 pm

Jonathan,
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much useful information in print about roasting.

Probat recently published a roasting book, but frankly, it doesn't provide info that can be put to use in day-to-day roasting.

Sivetz wrote a 115-page document about roasting called "coffee quality". you can buy it at http://www.sivetzcoffee.com/equip.htm I read it perhaps 12 years ago but remember it being interesting and somwhat useful.

Illy's espresso book has a short chapter on roasting but there are some very interesting nuggets there. Again, a little hard to apply in practice, but solid info.

The trouble is it is very difficult to put out a useful, practical book about roasting. But when you're ready to get into roasting, give me a call :)
scott rao
northampton, ma
Scott Rao

Postby Yara Tucek on Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:12 am

I have to say I found the best info about roasting (and many other things) in SCAA library of PDF + audio recordings from previous SCAA events.

There is TONS of useful stuff (I downloaded more than 120 interesting lectures) ... big props to SCAA for making this public!
Yara Tucek

full name: Yara Tucek
company: doubleshot - czech coffee roasters
: www.doubleshot.cz

Postby theotherone on Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:35 pm

Thanks Scott and Yara. I'll look into all of that.

I'll call when I'm prepared, Scott. Everytime I talk with you a Pandora's box of coffee knowledge is opened. There's only so much I can process at a time.
Jonathan S. Jarrow
Harbinger Coffee, LLC

"Happy Martinique! Hospitable land!
In a new world, you were the first
To gather and fertilize this delightful Asiatic berry,
And, in a French soil, to ripen its Ambrosia!
theotherone

full name: Jonathan Jarrow
company: Harbinger Coffee, LLC
: www.harbingercoffee.com

Postby Elaine Levia on Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:38 am

Hm. Random tidbit. My mother works in a university library and borrowed a book about the Maillard Reaction on my behalf. The article I spent some time with, written by C. Cerny, covers key odorants (aromas) in roasted foods (coffee included) and their respective thresholds for perception.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 1/issuetoc

A copy could be obtained rather easily, though I regretfully returned the book before photocopying. Again, quite random but fascinating and vaguely pertaining to roasting.
Elaine Levia

This post reflects my own opinions, not the views or opinions of Intelligentsia!
Elaine Levia

full name: Elaine Levia
company: UCLA