Roastery Gadgets: Colour, Moisture, Etc.

roasting & roastery operations

Roastery Gadgets: Colour, Moisture, Etc.

Postby Jessica Cole on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:08 pm

Can we resurrect this forum?

What's your point of view on the value of roast colour, moisture, and density analyses? Do you find it helpful and relevant to your work? I have become a big fan of moisture readings as a jumping-off place when I receive new coffee, and I've used Agtron scores as a measure of consistency in the past, but I know there are bigger places I can take this.

What tools do you use? Any equipment recommendations?

Thanks!
Jessica Cole

full name: Jessica Cole
company: Elysian Coffee Roasters
: http://elysiancoffee.com/

Re: Roastery Gadgets: Colour, Moisture, Etc.

Postby danyee on Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:39 am

Hey Jess,
I used to use a ColorTrack alongside the Agtron (to phase out the Agtron before I left AIR. It was probably more consistent in its feedback compared to Agtron and more helpful within certain coffees. To be honest, I get more feedback from just using a MOJO and taking readings from cuppings and evaluating the development of coffees in conjunction with taste. Works well for in house coffees but for wholesale where the variables are all over the place, the Agtron and CT were great for QC.
Also, yeah, moisture reader good for tracking coffees as they age and also getting a kick-off roast profile with new coffees.
I need to get back on a roaster. sigh.
danyee

full name: Dan Yee
company: AIR Coffee
: www.aircoffee.com
: www.flickr.com/photos/35292968@N0

Re: Roastery Gadgets: Colour, Moisture, Etc.

Postby Jessica Cole on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanks Dan! I'm glad you mentioned the MOJO. I don't think to explore brewing success as a measure of roast quality - I think I've become too removed from brewing, honestly. When you take readings from cuppings, is there a benchmark you're looking for?
Jessica Cole

full name: Jessica Cole
company: Elysian Coffee Roasters
: http://elysiancoffee.com/