Clever Vs. Brewt

press, drip, syphon, clover

Clever Vs. Brewt

Postby Sam Schroeder on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:07 pm

I have tried the clever dripper and have been very impressed with the results. The clever seems to simplify and improve upon a design that has been in existence for over a hundred years. I was sort of dumbfounded that no one thought to do something similar before now.

Then I saw this...

http://www.brewts.com/coffee2

...tea brewer that claims to work for coffee. It is very similar in design with a couple of differences. The brewt appears to not need a filter, but one can be used? It seems to have a steeper, "non ribbed" cone, it holds more volume, and it has a lid to preserve heat during brewing. Has anyone used the brewt for coffee? What are you impressions? Would you recommend it for coffee or is it really more of a tea brewer? Has anyone used both the brewt and the clever? How do they compare?
Sam Schroeder

full name: Sam Schroeder
company: Olympia Coffee Roasting
: www.olycoffee.com

Re: Clever Vs. Brewt

Postby Alistair Durie on Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:19 am

A big upside of the Brewt is the clear non-BPA plastic, but the shape doesn't hold paper filters quite as well as the Clever / Abid.

The filter doesn't work 100% for brewing coffee, the last 2 or so ounces stalls as it is a little too narrow and there is no pressure to bring it out. If the grinds are sifted it works much better. It's really designed for tea and it does a fantastic job of that.

I'm really optimistic about this method of brewing: full saturation, bottom filtration... hoping for some improvements in the filter design and glass construction.
Alistair Durie
Elysian Coffee | photos | tweets
Alistair Durie
admin

full name: Alistair Durie
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com
: www.coffeed.com

Postby Jim Saborio on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:31 am

Alistair wrote:A big upside of the Brewt is the clear non-BPA plastic, but the shape doesn't hold paper filters quite as well as the Clever / Abid.

I don't have the packaging for the Clever in front of me, but my supplier claims the Clever is also BPA free.
-JIm

...aaannndd the Starbucks down the street just got a Clover
Jim Saborio

full name: Jim Saborio
company: Comet Coffee
: http://twitter.com/cometcoffee

Postby nick on Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:29 am

That "Brewt" comes from Abid*... who also makes the Clever.

Paper filters are a pain, and have downsides. Re-usable filters (cloth, metal-mesh, nylon-mesh, socks, fingers, etc.) have downsides too. In my experience, paper filters are best, if only in a lesser-of-two-evils sort of way.

I've tried the "Brewt" type thing (branded as a Teavana product), and experienced the same stalling as Alistair.

One of the things that I like about the Clever dripper is that the wide upper portion thins-out the floating coffee-grounds crust, which I think helps extraction. Granted, more heat-loss that way, but everything's a trade-off, ain't it?

*Fun Fact: Did you know that "ABID" is an abbreviation for "Absolutely Best Idea Development?"
Nick Cho
nick

full name: Nicholas Cho
company: Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters
: http://nickcho.com
: http://wreckingballcoffee.com/

Postby phaelon56 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:58 am

nick wrote: Granted, more heat-loss that way, but everything's a trade-off, ain't it?

Take a Mazzer doser lid, tap a small hole in the center and attach a funky little metal or wood drawer pull to serve as a handle. Voila: Clever Cover.

Works great provided you are at about 14 oz of water or less - above that level and the grounds at the edges get lodged on the lid.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Postby Christopher Schooley on Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:48 pm

"Everyone with no experiences can enjoy making the perfectly filtered coffee..."

Lids will be apart of the next model of clever.
http://www.coffeeshrub.com
Armed to the teeth with secret words
Christopher Schooley

full name: Christopher Schooley
company: Coffee Shrub
: www.coffeeshrub.com

Postby paul_pratt on Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:34 pm

I have another type of immersian brewer which is similiar to these but is a bit more manual than being clever. The brewing chamber is less cone like in shape and it uses a fixed metal filter rather than a paper one. The coffee and water mix is kept suspended above the cup by a small ball bearing that covers a hole at the bottom on the chamber. When you are ready you have to lift the ball bearing up (there is a mechanism to do this, all you have to do is push a rod downwards) and the coffee filters down into the cup.

I can't remember the name now, but I picked it up in Tokyo where it is quite common.

The brew itself was quite similiar to a french press.

I shall see if I can find some online pics.

Paul
paul_pratt

full name: Paul Pratt
company: Cafelat