The Perfect Brewer

press, drip, syphon, clover

The Perfect Brewer

Postby Sam Schroeder on Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:30 pm

The discussion about the Bunn Trifecta has led me to wonder what the perfect high volume single cup brewer would look like? A single cup brewer that you could brew ALL of your filter coffee on. What are the requirements of such a brewer? Obviously there is the clover, that fits this description for some people. I think the fact that fact that we can have this discussion now is the result of that revolutionary brewer.

However, I am sorry to say that I think the the clover falls short on several marks from being the perfect high volume single cup brewer. As the former co-owner of a coffee roaster that was an early adopter of the clover I have spent a lot of time with the machine. I think the quality of coffee that comes out of the clover is unique to the clover, some love it for others it leaves something to be desired. While I think it is overall better than anything that has spent anytime in an airpot, I have found my opinion of the quality of the coffee has moved me into the leaves something to be desired category. Also the clover screens clogging and coffee residue from cup to cup could be better. That being said, the clover is quick and easy to clean between cups.

As far as my dream brewer...

Speed is an essential component. Other brewers that also brew coffee quick that come to mind are the AeroPress and the vacuum pot. I think the design of a brewer could be based around one of these. I imagine it to be modeled similar to an espresso machine, or like a multiple group clover. Where the machine disperses water into a chamber loaded with coffee by a barista. My set of requirements would be these

-brews an awesome cup of coffee
-brews a cup in 2 minutes or less
-able to brew more than one cup at a time (multiple groups)
-super easy clean up between cups
-barista control of variables, i.e. brew time, water temp, agitation (manual or otherwise), etc.

What else? What would your perfect high volume single cup brewer look like? Would it be based on an existing brewing method(s)? What requirements are missing?

I think the excitement around the clover was justified. I think the idea a quick brewer that allows you to offer a variety of coffees with different qualities and at different price points is something worthy of hype. In the wake of the clover, on the cusp of the trifecta, I think we as a community should offer ideas around our ideal brewer. I guess I have the hope that it will hasten its birth.
Sam Schroeder

full name: Sam Schroeder
company: Olympia Coffee Roasting
: www.olycoffee.com

Re: The Perfect Brewer

Postby Sam Schroeder on Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:07 pm

Also, why not create an imaginary grinder that is designed to work with a single cup brewer well we are at it. Espresso machines have espresso specific grinders, why use a grinder that is designed to be all-purpose for a single cup brewer. What I imagine is a multiple hopper grinder, so that all your coffees are loaded up and ready to go. Then it distributes set volumes of coffee to the burrs similar to the Versalab "dosing hopper," with different basket/brushing sizes on the dosing hopper, for coffees of different densities (i.e. use a smaller basket/brushing for an ethiopian heirloom, than your maragogipe). I think a grinder designed to work with a single cup brewer could eliminate a significant amount of the time it takes to do single cup brewing. Anyways what other ideas are out there...
Sam Schroeder

full name: Sam Schroeder
company: Olympia Coffee Roasting
: www.olycoffee.com