yama cold brew tower

press, drip, syphon, clover

yama cold brew tower

Postby Ben Cram on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:35 am

We recently started playing with the smaller size Yama cold brew tower. I can't find many recipes on line and was hoping someone might have some wisdom they could share. (Dialing it in is tedious when you only get 1 or 2 tries per day.)

Right now based on the sheet that came with it we are using 80 grams of coffee (have played with different particle sizes,) and 960 gr water/ice dripping between 20 & 30 times per minute.

Coarser ground coffee is to weak while finer starts to get to bitter. We can't really manipulate extraction through agitation or brew temp so dose/ grind combos are the key.

Thanks
Ben Cram

full name: Ben Cram
company: Fernwood Coffee Company
: www.fernwoodcoffee.com

Re: yama cold brew tower

Postby phaelon56 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:49 am

Try pinging James Hoffman. The guys at Penny University were just starting to play with that same tower when I visited there in June. Perhaps they've some info to share - worth asking.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Postby Yara Tucek on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:53 pm

I have both the Yama big tower and Hario small cold drip. Usually tend to dose 70 g / l of drip coarse ground coffee (very light roasts) ... approx 40 drops per minute. Waiting for the ExtractMojo to check the results but so far we really like it!
Yara Tucek

full name: Yara Tucek
company: doubleshot - czech coffee roasters
: www.doubleshot.cz

Postby Ben Cram on Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:11 pm

Funny you should say 70 gr/ liter. We just came to that conclusion by using the mojo on an 80 gram dose and a 60 gram dose. My next thought was- Should we be brewing stronger coffee since it is intended to be a concentrate. We have been diluting the 80 gram dose "strong" cold brew with water, dairy or ice as we would a shot of espresso in americanos or lattes. Customer feedback has been good so far. The 80 gram had a TDS of 1.99% and an extraction yield of 21.28%. It almost tastes like a liqueur when you try it straight.
Ben Cram

full name: Ben Cram
company: Fernwood Coffee Company
: www.fernwoodcoffee.com