At Boxcar We Boil Coffee By The Cup!!!!!

press, drip, syphon, clover

At Boxcar We Boil Coffee By The Cup!!!!!

Postby Vajra Rich on Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:45 pm

Yes its true.

At a mile above sea level water boils at roughly 203 degrees. We have messed with Fetco settings, grind size and everything else under the sun, with little to no success.

I have spent some time learning from the cowboy coffee master, Paul Songer. He taught me how to make damn good coffee over a campfire at 8000 feet with a boiling point of 196 F.

When it came time to open our new coffee bar, we struggled with what brewing system to use. Using V60's in a commercial setting would require keeping kettles on burners. Not so fun.
So after some head scratching and stress over how to brew great coffee at our elevation, my wife and partner Cara, thought it would be awesome to find a way to make cowboy coffee by the cup.

I set to work looking for equipment to achieve this goal. We are proud to say that we have conquered the temperature dilemma. Check out the link and if you are ever in Colorado please come and visit us.

How do I paste a picture so it shows up right here?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boxcarcoff ... hotostream
Vajra Rich

full name: Vajra Rich
company: Boxcar Coffee Roasters
: www.boxcarcoffee.com

Re: At Boxcar We Boil Coffee By The Cup!!!!!

Postby Lalo Perez-Varona on Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:03 pm

Sounds quite cool. Whats the length of your extraction? Does the agitation caused by the rolling boil ever make over-extraction an issue?

I was checking out the pic on the link and was wondering how you were filtering the coffee in the end?
Lalo Perez-Varona

full name: Lalo Perez-Varona
company: El Tercer Lugar
: stainednapkin.wordpress.com

Postby Christopher Schooley on Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:10 pm

I have had the great fortune of enjoying a cup brewed by the (space) cowboy method at Boxcar. It was totally awesome! A perfectly articulated acidity in an excellent balance with the mouth feel. Looks neat-o, moves pretty fast by manual brew standards, and highlights some pretty swell attributes in a coffee. Win.
http://www.coffeeshrub.com
Armed to the teeth with secret words
Christopher Schooley

full name: Christopher Schooley
company: Coffee Shrub
: www.coffeeshrub.com

Postby Vajra Rich on Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:50 pm

Thank you Schooley!

We have been brewing the Kenya Nyeri Gichatha-ini we got from Shrub and the response has been basically "Wow"

Lalo.
We use a courser grind in order to deal with the turbulence in the process. We start with water at about 196-7 right in the flask with the coffee and return the flask to the heat after letting it bloom for a bit. The boiling takes place towards the end for a very brief time.
We throw in a few ice cubs at the end which settles the grounds to the bottom and drops the temp. We then pour directly in the cup through a tea strainer.
It results in a texture much like a cupping brew.
Vajra Rich

full name: Vajra Rich
company: Boxcar Coffee Roasters
: www.boxcarcoffee.com

Postby Lalo Perez-Varona on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 am

Hey Vaj,

I was looking at the pictures of your brewing setup. Did you purchase your heating elements or were they made for you? Are they ceramic? Im looking into something similar and remembered I had seen some previously and just remembered it was in your pics!
Lalo Perez-Varona

full name: Lalo Perez-Varona
company: El Tercer Lugar
: stainednapkin.wordpress.com