cost for mapping?

growing, harvesting, processing, cupping, purchasing

cost for mapping?

Postby SL28ave on Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:35 pm

If you discovered a new coffee region that has never been mapped... how much would it cost to fund the creation of a thorough map with 5 meter precision, and gain rights to use this map? Would you have to pay a professional cartographer thousands of hours of labor?

$2,000?

$20,000?

66 beans?

Won't SCAA do it for free? J/K!!
Last edited by SL28ave on Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Peter Lynagh
SL28ave

full name: Peter Lynagh
company: student

Postby barry on Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:38 pm

Do you know Sammy Olivieri?

If not, you should.
barry

full name: T. Barry Jarrett
company: Coffee Projects Inc.

Postby SL28ave on Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:40 pm

barry wrote:Do you know Sammy Olivieri?

If not, you should.

I'll check with my contacts (google). Thanks!
-Peter Lynagh
SL28ave

full name: Peter Lynagh
company: student

Postby barry on Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:49 pm

Peter,

The last I heard (a couple of years ago), Sammy was in Rwanda helping the coffee farmers. If you have contacts at US/AID they might know him. If you manage to track him down, tell him 'hi' for me. To say he is a 'character' is an understatement.
barry

full name: T. Barry Jarrett
company: Coffee Projects Inc.

Cartography

Postby Edwin Martinez on Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:36 pm

hi peter,

is there a specific place you want to map? doesn't have to be a new region to justify some map making.

I had a cartographer come down to Finca Vista Hermosa earlier this year (was the week before George came down) and he mapped out the entire farm with boundries for each microlot. I just searched through our entire blog as I was sure I posted some of the maps.... guess i haven't yet.

Anyway 5 meter precision is um... pretty precise. To do this you need to have very accurate satellite data which already exists and will run you about $1000 - this will allow you to create a digital elevation model needed to create topographical map, then you need a surveyor.... this can range from $1500-$4500 and then a cartographer who makes the data usefull - this can cost next to nothing or a fortune depends on what exactly you want. We did not do the first 2 steps as I was o.k. with a greater margin of error. We used multiple GPS units side by side and hiked the boundaries of every micro lot to ensure more accuracy but still a lot more than 5 meter variance. More like 10-13 meters. However as they were both consistently off in the same directions... we ended up with pretty accurate results. The software they use is pricey. License for 1 person for 1 year is about $5k.

Tristan Currin is the cartographer I used. He doesn't mind hiking up cliffs either - which was a must for us at FVH. One thing I learned is that it is MUCH more difficult than I imagined to walk the boundaries of our micro lots than to just walk through them. He's a climber that thrives on being in a thick jungle or forest in remote places.

He graduated from Western Washington University and won't ask for a fortune for his work and he is cautious to not overpromise, so it's hard to go wrong. I think this is worth exploring for any roaster who is buying from a specific place year after year. It can add great value to the grower-roaster relationship as well as to the end product for the consumer.

And it helps that Tristan appreciates the work that goes into producing good coffee. He's pictured on right cupping at Anacafe.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gaber/5037 ... 229020679/

Sorry... probably more info than you wanted.. if you or anyone else wants to explore mapping out some coffee lands just drop me a line. It's something I enjoy very much.
Edwin D. Martinez
Edwin Martinez