Bourbon varietal history

growing, harvesting, processing, cupping, purchasing

Bourbon varietal history

Postby Alistair Durie on Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:30 am

Was reading sweetmarias.com and found a note that the Bourbon coffee variety was named after an island now called Reunion, off the coast of Madagascar, (Map) where it was originally cultivated. The island was named at that time after The House of Bourbon and the French Bourbon dynasty.

Reunion from Wikipedia: "Arab sailors formerly called the island Adna Al Maghribain (“Western Island”). The Portuguese were the first Europeans to visit, finding it uninhabited in 1513, and naming it Santa Apollonia, after Saint Apollonia. The island was then occupied by France and administered from Port Louis, Mauritius. Although the French flag was hoisted by François Cauche in 1638, Santa Apollonia was officially claimed by Jacques Pronis of France in 1642, when he deported a dozen French mutineers to the island from Madagascar. The convicts were returned to France several years later, and in 1649, the island was named Île Bourbon after the royal house".

"Réunion was the name given to the island in 1793 by a decree of the Convention with the fall of the House of Bourbon in France, and the name commemorates the union of revolutionaries from Marseille with the National Guard in Paris, which took place on August 10, 1792. In 1801, the island was renamed "Île Bonaparte," after Napoleon Bonaparte. The island was taken by the British navy led by Commodore Josias Rowley in 1810, who used the old name of “Bourbon”. When it was restored to France by the Congress of Vienna in 1815, the island retained the name of "Bourbon" until 1848, when the fall of the restored Bourbons during the revolutions during that year meant that the island became “Réunion” once again."
Alistair Durie
Elysian Coffee | photos | tweets
Alistair Durie
admin

full name: Alistair Durie
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com
: www.coffeed.com

Re: Bourbon varietal history

Postby Jim Saborio on Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:09 pm

In 1715-17 the French Company of the Indies introduced the cultivation of the plant into the Isle of Bourbon, now Reunion, by a ship captian named Dufougeret-Grenier from St. Malo. It did so well that nine years later it began to export coffee.

from All About Coffee by William H. Ukers
-JIm

...aaannndd the Starbucks down the street just got a Clover
Jim Saborio

full name: Jim Saborio
company: Comet Coffee
: http://twitter.com/cometcoffee

Postby Ric Rhinehart on Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:02 pm

Has anybody here tasted the Bourbon Pointu that UCC sells from this isalnd? The green coffee is a longberry type like so many extraordinary coffees, and makes one suspect that this genetic coding is close to the DNA for extreme sweetness and floral qualities. In any event, I thought it looked suspiciously like Geisha (Gesha) although not identical. Would love to hear about any experiences of this coffee (or better yet get my spoon in some).
Ric Rhinehart

Postby Gilberto Baraona on Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:28 pm

Great history of the bourbon variety, I myself grow this variety in my Farm in El Salvador.
Definitly the best coffe in my opinion is the bourbon, In my farm I have treees that had been there for more than 100 years, and recently we located a few very old trees that are original old bourbons that had longberry shape bean. I name it Tecapa Longberry Coffee, since my farm is located in the Tecapa Chinameca coffe growing region of El Salvador. From your descripcion of the UCC coffee , almost all arabica plants decend from abyssian genetics, which had some longberry traits. I iam sending a picture of these trees probably, i will be cupping first time this december, i can send you some samples.

Regards

Gilberto Baraona
tecapa longberry.jpg
Gilberto Baraona

full name: Gilberto Baraona
company: Los Pirineos S.A de C.V.
: www.tecapa.com

Postby Mike Gregory on Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:30 am

Alistair,

Ask one of your friends in El Salvador to send you a copy of "Exploring Distinctive Characteristics & Virtues of Coffee Varieties: The Bourbon & Pacamara Case." It may be available via Procafe or Luis Rodriguez.

mike g.
Mike Gregory

full name: Mike Gregory
company: Independent

Postby James Hoffmann on Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:20 am

I love google for finding pdfs.
James Hoffmann

full name: James Hoffmann
company: Square Mile Coffee Roasters
: http://www.squaremilecoffee.com
: http://www.jimseven.com

Postby Luis Rodriguez on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:46 am

Hi all,

You should downloadtry this one: http://www.consejocafe.org.sv/docs/Bour ... ietals.pdf

The one Jim posted before had some changes... right now both should be the same, I update the other link just in case, but prior this post they are different... I did not check but the old one might only talked on Bourbon... this one had something about pacamara as well.

cheers,

L
Luis Rodriguez

full name: Luis Rodriguez
company: Caferium - Exceptional Coffee Consulting
: www.caferium.com
: www.strictaltura.com

Postby DarrinDaniel on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:08 am

Luis

Thanks so much for posting this information. It is very useful!

Darrin :D
DarrinDaniel

full name: Darrin Daniel
company: Allegro Coffee Company
: www.allegrocoffee.com
: myspace.com/cityfulpress

Postby Luis Rodriguez on Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:29 am

Thanks Darrin!

Please also note that anyone can share this document, it was conceived especifically for education purposes... if anyone wants to add to it comments are more than welcome... any observations, corrections, etc, etc, as well, anything to improve we would be really happy to review and include 'em...

Respects,

L
Luis Rodriguez

full name: Luis Rodriguez
company: Caferium - Exceptional Coffee Consulting
: www.caferium.com
: www.strictaltura.com

Postby Gilberto Baraona on Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

I am sending pictures of some seeds that we adquired in Costa Rica, They are hybrids called Dwarf Bourbon. They claim that is diferent from El salvador Pacas variety.
Attachments
Borbon enano 3.jpg
Bourbon enano Costa Rica
Gilberto Baraona

full name: Gilberto Baraona
company: Los Pirineos S.A de C.V.
: www.tecapa.com

Postby sweetmarias on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:43 am

is it just mundo novo, or different. i see some of the typical clumping habit on some branches, but others look more like catuai. thanks for sharing the photo.
let's cup through this ... together.
http://www.sweetmarias.com | http://www.coffeeshrub.com
sweetmarias

full name: thompson r owen
company: sweet maria's
: www.sweetmarias.com
: www.coffeeshrub.com