Tragedy at Finca Vista Hermosa

growing, harvesting, processing, cupping, purchasing

Tragedy at Finca Vista Hermosa

Postby Mark Prince on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:58 pm

Some very tragic news out of Finca Vista Hermosa.

Carlos Martin, who was the manager of the farm for the Martinez family, and his second oldest son (16 years old, out of 12 children), Edwin, were tragically killed by roadside bandits when they were transporting the farmers' payroll to pay the workers on February 15th.

Aaron Blanco has the details.

My sincerest condolences to Carlos and Edwin's family; they left behind 11 children / siblings and their wife / mother Juana.

I'm trying to collect more details for something brief on CoffeeGeek where hopefully we'll raise some money for Carlos and Edwin's family to help cope with some difficult times ahead. I would encourage anyone else who wants to help to do so. Right now, Barefoot Coffee (http://www.barefootcoffee.com) is raising funds for the family. It's been suggested that baristas donate their tips from one day, or roasters pick out a great Guatemalan coffee they have in their stock and donate the sales of this coffee from one day to the family. All good ideas to help them out through some very difficult times.

Mark
Last edited by Mark Prince on Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Prince
Just in it for the espresso and coffee, Vancouver BC
Mark Prince

full name: Mark Prince
company: CoffeeGeek.com
: www.CoffeeGeek.com

Re: Tragedy at Finca Vista Hermosa

Postby Alistair Durie on Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:14 pm

As I go through the photos my heart breaks, speechless and angry with the world. There are no words. I keep bringing up this picture over and over...

Alistair Durie
admin

full name: Alistair Durie
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com
: www.coffeed.com

Postby aaronblanco on Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:38 pm

Please note that a memorial fund for Carlos' widow Juana has been set up over on Edwin Martinez' blog:
http://www.fincavistahermosa.wordpress.com
Aaron Blanco, Invincible Coffee Spirit
aaronblanco

full name: Aaron Blanco
company: The Brown Coffee Company
: browncoffeeco.com
: Twitter: @browncoffeeco

Postby Mark Prince on Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:36 pm

I had an emotional talk with Edwin about Carlos and his son, and put together an article here:

http://www.coffeegeek.com/opinions/coff ... 02-26-2008

There is, as Aaron Blanco said, a memorial fund set up for Carlos' family. I am encouraging baristas to donate one day's tips to help this family out, and for shop owners and roasters to consider donating the sales receipts of one of your favourite Guatemalan coffees (perhaps even Finca Vista Hermosa) for a day, a week or whatever you think is appropriate.

Mark
Mark Prince
Just in it for the espresso and coffee, Vancouver BC
Mark Prince

full name: Mark Prince
company: CoffeeGeek.com
: www.CoffeeGeek.com

Postby Sean Starke on Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:42 am

Oh gosh, how horrible.
Sean Starke
Coffee America (USA) Corp.
Sean Starke

Postby Jeff Jassmond on Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:13 pm

I haven't seen it addressed at all so will ask: were any security providers injured or killed? Security personnel are often ignored as an integral part of the coffee industry, but they play a huge role in making sure everyone is relatively safe, especially during harvest when so much cash is being moved around. I'm not trying to dilute all the well-wishes and fund raising, I'm simply trying to wrap my brain around such a tragic loss. If there were losses among the security personnel, will their families be part of the fund-raising pool?
Jeff Jassmond

full name: jeffrey jassmond
company: Unaffiliated.

Postby Edwin Martinez on Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:27 pm

no security or anyone else. Carlos and Edwin were traveling alone.
Edwin D. Martinez
Edwin Martinez

Postby Jason Haeger on Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:31 pm

Tx-Coffee is doing our part as well.

http://tx-coffee.com/2008/02/26/tragedy ... guatemala/
Jason Haeger

full name: Jason Haeger
company: AJ Coffee Company | EspressoTrainer.com
: http://www.ajcoffeeco.com

Postby andynewbom on Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:34 pm

Thank you to all the great people who put their money where their heart is and donated money to help support Juana Martin and her family. Together we raised $3,803.00 for the Martin family!!

Edwin Martinez of Finca Vista Hermosa is flying to Guatemala Friday the 7th and will be bringing down the money to help out the entire family. Thank you so much to all who donated, chipped in and helped out. I know that several other great roasters like Victrola Coffee, Brown Coffee and others all had donation drives as well and raised a great deal of money.

And a huge heartfelt thanks goes out to the amazing Barefoot Baristas who on their own decided to band together and donate all of their tips for the last week to Juana and her family! That is a strong move for a Barista to give up that much percentage of their income. Thank you Barefoot Baristas and crew!

Thank you so much everyone who helped out! We will still be raising money for the next few weeks so donate online or in the cafe!
Andy Newbom
serious coffee.
andynewbom

full name: Andy Newbom
company: Barefoot Coffee

Postby sarahdelilah on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:51 am

Barista Magazine has set up a PayPal account for Carlos' family, as well, which can be accessed from our homepage: baristamagazine.com.
sarah allen
yet another blog: baristamagazine.com/blog
sarahdelilah

full name: Sarah Allen
company: Barista Magazine
: http://baristamagazine.com