Wood tongue at the cupping table

growing, harvesting, processing, cupping, purchasing

Wood tongue at the cupping table

Postby Rich Westerfield on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:06 pm

Had a weird thing happen at today's staff cupping - seemed I could barely taste anything. Totally disconnected from whatever I was slurping. I'm getting over a cold, but I had no problems at all with fragrance or aroma and was in sync with others at the table on those. But tasting? Couldn't really discern degree of brightness nor aftertaste unless the cup was off the charts astringent.

It was very strange. Belle usually counts on me to provide some rather *unusual* descriptors each week, but today I was lucky to find "red fruit".

It's not tasting fatigue. Only thing I did this morning was dial in a guest espresso. And since the nose works, it's not making sense to me. This ever happen to any of you? And if so, any idea why your taste buds went dead?

Just to clarify, we're talking production roasts of very good coffees here, so it's not like there was nothing to taste.
Rich Westerfield, Co-owner
aldocoffee.com
I'm just here to regulate funkiness.
Rich Westerfield

Re: Wood tongue at the cupping table

Postby Peter G on Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:44 pm

Funny, Rich-

This happens, and it seems to me that it happens when folks are "just getting over a cold". Honest. It's weird. Often, people describe a metallic or constant bitterness in their mouth. I think it might have to do with what happens to mouth tissues in the last stages of a cold. I wouldn't speculate further than that, but rest assured you are not crazy. I couldn't taste right for 3 days one time, food tasted all weird. (same deal, I could smell fine...) And yes, I had just gotten over a cold.

Peter
Peter Giuliano
Specialty Coffee Association of America
Peter G

full name: Peter Giuliano
company: Specialty Coffee Association of America

Re: Wood tongue at the cupping table

Postby Emily Oak on Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:04 pm

Exactly the same thing happened to me last week - also getting over a cold.
I was not cupping, I was reviewing a cafe tasting first espresso and then a caffe latte. After 3 or 4 sips I gave up - I could taste barely anything except a faint metalic element in the crema, no sweetness in the milk and the espresso tasting was a joke. I could literally feel the liquid in my mouth but there was no sensation of taste. Smell was OK, the bakery next door had fresh bread on the racks...
Emily Oak

full name: Emily Oak
company: Australian Independent Roasters
: www.airoasters.com