Bourbon In China

growing, harvesting, processing, cupping, purchasing

Bourbon In China

Postby Shaughan Dunne on Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi Folks,
Can someone help us out with identifying the cultivar of these trees? I am told they are Bourbon that was originally brought over from Burma. The farmers in the area are being encouraged to grow Catimor and some are contemplating pulling the Bourbon to replace it with higher yielding Catimor. Check out the pics at web.me.com/compasls/ktc under photos then Lu Jiang Ba
Thanks for the help-Shaughan
Shaughan Dunne

full name: Shaughan Dunne
company: Five Senses Coffee
: www.fivesensescoffee.com.au

Re: Bourbon In China

Postby R Miguel Meza on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:13 am

atleast in some of the pics the trees show a lot of bourbon characteristics rounded rippled leaves, slighty acute angle to the brances. long droopy branches with wide internode spacing and ball-like fruit clustering. although in some other pics the plants look more typica like. thought i saw some copper tipped leaves, could've been the lighting though and more flat narrow leaves. but certainly very plausible that it is bourbon. the french did plant plenty of bourbon in french indochine a century or so ago. i beleive Ukers mentions Vietnam 'Grand Bourbon' . do you know any more specifics about this area where these farms are? altitude. rainfall. how much land planted with bourbon? i've felt for years south-east asia was the final frontier for specialty coffee. i see no reason why the highlands of thailand, laos, vietnam, yunnan and the northern phillipines couldn't produce great coffee. they all used to be arabica producing regions before rust wiped most of their production out long ago.
R Miguel Meza

full name: R Miguel Meza
company: Hula Daddy Kona Coffee
: http://www.huladaddy.com

Postby Shaughan Dunne on Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:02 am

Hey Miguel,
Baoshan in Yunnan province is all I know. Have been in contact with an ex-pat Australian whos now located in the area. All the usual problems, not picking ripe cherry, poor processing and too many middlemen. My contact Peter has done a good job getting to know the farmers and winning a bit of trust. A small group of farmers have agreed to keep some bourbon separate (usually just mixed with the catimor) which he will purchase. Will get some samples at some stage, no reason it shouldn't be ok. Got some samples of last years mixed crop earlier this year. Defects off the scale and even after careful sorting wasn't great. Fingers crossed this bourbon only stuff will be better.

Talk soon-Shaughan
Shaughan Dunne

full name: Shaughan Dunne
company: Five Senses Coffee
: www.fivesensescoffee.com.au

Postby phaelon56 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:46 am

Beginning a few weeks from now I will be in Vietnam for ten days - late Dec to early January. Is it worth a visit to the central highlands area to see what's up with coffee? I have the distinct impression that there is still some good coffee grown there but that quantities are such that it all gets consumed in the domestic market with a bit of it making out to Thailand as exports.

If it is worth a trek there - any thoughts on where to visit? (Co-ops, farms, brokers etc.)
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee