Vietnam recommendations?

growing, harvesting, processing, cupping, purchasing

Vietnam recommendations?

Postby phaelon56 on Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:18 pm

I'll be in central and northern Vietnam for ten days beginning this Sunday. I'm well aware that massive quantities of crappy Robusta are grown there but have also been given to believe that there's a moderate amount of much higher quality coffee also grown. Planning to pass through Buon Ma Thuot - any suggestions for plantations, roasters or processors to drop in on who might be open to a visit?
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Re: Vietnam recommendations?

Postby Robert Goble on Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:21 pm

You starting out in Hue? If so -- and I'm not sure if it's still there -- but there was a coffee place called the hue gallery where they used to serve espresso. Basically a local men's hangout in an outdoor courtyard where guys play chess and cyclo drivers talk about their day. Totally cool memories.
Robert Goble
Elysian Coffee
Robert Goble

full name: Robert Goble
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com

Postby phaelon56 on Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:22 am

Apart from beginning and ending in Hanoi and getting a few suits in Hoi An I have no specific itinerary yet. If I stop in Hue - a distinct possibility - I'd love to find the place. Do you know a name or recall the location?
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Postby Robert Goble on Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:09 am

My recollection is that it was on the non-citadel side of the river just before the main bridge crossing. A total local hangout - especially popular with cyclo drivers. These guys can be your friends and will often function as guides if you get one you really like. There's lots to see and do across Vietnam and almost universally these guys know exactly where to recommend or take you. Stress you want the local experience though, not the Western hotel experience. They'll hook you up.
Robert Goble
Elysian Coffee
Robert Goble

full name: Robert Goble
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com