Cupping at 2900 metres

growing, harvesting, processing, cupping, purchasing

Cupping at 2900 metres

Postby Mark Dundon on Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:59 pm

Just a quick post regarding cupping at major altitudes. Major factors would be boiling point of water ( 2900m is around 92c) and sample roasting. But does anyone have experience at altitude and what it does to the cup. Degassing of roasts, as well as brew ratio, times etc. I noticed that longer brew times were important as well as ratio? Anyone else?
Mark Dundon

full name: Mark Dundon
company: Seven Seeds & Brother Buba Budan
: www.sevenseeds.com.au
: www.brotherbababudan.com.au

Re: Cupping at 2900 metres

Postby tim on Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:15 am

I haven't done any research, but noticed several times that while cupping in high altitudes, I struggle getting the aromas both on dry smell and also while cupping.
Tim Wendelboe
tim

Postby Mark Dundon on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:21 am

Cupping recently at 2900 m I noticed that the coffee took longer to develop in the cup,( makes sense with the temp) as well as diminished brighter tones. Look forward to cupping the same coffee back in the lab. Bogota would have the same issues, with the WBC is anyone planning on cupping? Any any tricks to reproduce sea level brews?
Mark Dundon

Postby Emily Oak on Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:22 am

Anecdotally - I've done some research as the WBC 2011 will be at 2900m or so - degassing tends to take longer and coffee takes longer to develop aroma. Also the release of gas and flavour once the coffee is ground tends to take longer.

Most of what I've read had been about espresso at altitude and all the advice I've been given apart from the boiling point being lower etc. is that coffee needs to be left to rest/age for much much longer than when closer to sea level.

Mark you might want to talk to the kids in Colorado - Mike Strumpf and Allegro Coffee as they live and work with green and roasting at altitude (including cupping!)
Emily Oak

full name: Emily Oak
company: Australian Independent Roasters
: www.airoasters.com

Postby Mark Dundon on Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:00 am

Thanks Em..

I'll check with the virmax boys as well.

Mark
Mark Dundon

Postby IanClark on Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:39 am

It seems a little odd that coffee would degas more slowly at high altitudes. With a constant pressure inside the bean and a reduced pressure outside, shouldn't degassing occur more rapidly?
Ian Clark
Bridgehead
Ottawa, ON
IanClark

full name: Ian Clark
company: Bridgehead
: www.bridgehead.ca

Postby Jason Haeger on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:55 pm

IanClark wrote:It seems a little odd that coffee would degas more slowly at high altitudes. With a constant pressure inside the bean and a reduced pressure outside, shouldn't degassing occur more rapidly?

Just a guess.

I don't think that it degasses more slowly. I think that it stales more slowly. Less air pressure means less air mass. Maybe the reduced air pressure also slows the exchange of gasses that we know as degassing. Just some random rambling thoughts.
Jason Haeger

full name: Jason Haeger
company: AJ Coffee Company | EspressoTrainer.com
: http://www.ajcoffeeco.com