Cherry Skin Composting - Current Practices?

growing, harvesting, processing, cupping, purchasing

Cherry Skin Composting - Current Practices?

Postby taylormork on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:27 am

Anybody seen any recent initiatives in regards to composting of coffee cherry skins? I've seen my fair share of "let it pile up and don't do anything with it" or "let it pile up, let it sit for a while, give it out to interested farmers once the acidity is [hopefully] not too high." Sure, many agronomy projects promote use of cherry skin compost, but I have yet to see any true cherry skin management system, testing, microbial composting, etc.

That said, I haven't spent much time on larger estates which might treat this more seriously.

Any good resources available on this subject? Perhaps info on how long it takes to adequately compost under xyz conditions, additional additives required for a proper mix (i.e. not just skins), testing practices, etc?
taylormork

full name: Taylor Mork
company: Crop to Cup Coffee Co
: www.croptocup.com
: croptocup.wordpress.com

Re: Cherry Skin Composting - Current Practices?

Postby Peter G on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:28 pm

I feel like the best cherry composting systems are worm compost units. The cherry worm compost area on Finca Selva Negra is second to none, except perhaps Roberto Salazar's in Honduras. There are plenty more. The vermicompost from cherries is vermicompost, which is an effective and useful manure.

Peter G
Peter Giuliano
Specialty Coffee Association of America
Peter G

full name: Peter Giuliano
company: Specialty Coffee Association of America

Re: Cherry Skin Composting - Current Practices?

Postby phaelon56 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:20 am

Get in touch with Nishant Gurjer of Kaapi Royale (Sethuraman Estates in Magundi India.) He's doing worm composting and using organic micro-nutrient spray made from cow byproducts as well as a host of other bio-diversity practices. You can find him on Facebook or ping Andrew Hetzel to reach him. Nishant has an engineering background and is not only engaged in some very progressive practices on the farm but also monitors and documents the results carefully.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee