Growing coffee trees?

growing, harvesting, processing, cupping, purchasing

Postby Mark Prince on Sun May 20, 2007 12:39 pm

I think keeping them together is a good idea, but Beata says that they need specific soil nutrients and mixtures to really take off. We have three little shrubberies going, started last year all from seed (Ethiopean cherry clandestinely brought back). Ones become a mutant, growing huge in one year. The other two are taking their time.

The biggest just got its third replanting last weekend. The pot is about 10 inches tall, and the plant stands at about 3 feet from the ground at the tallest leaf. We call him Snoop. The other two are Dog and Milo.

Mark
Mark Prince
Just in it for the espresso and coffee, Vancouver BC
Mark Prince

full name: Mark Prince
company: CoffeeGeek.com
: www.CoffeeGeek.com

Postby jmc on Mon May 21, 2007 12:32 pm

Yeah, for most container plants you should isolate if you want to keep them healthy. They might be fine growing together, but keep in mind the roots will be competing for space and there will be a lot of root tangle going on, if one plant dies, you'll likely lose both. Because of this tangling, I don't think you can seperate easily after even a few months of growth.
As far as fertilization, all container plants will need regular fertilization. There are some nice organic fertilizers out there available. I'm using a slow release Osmocote (Not organic, but I think they make an O. version) for mine, you only need to fertilize every 4 months and it seems to be working well. (It is a 19-6-12.) If your plants aren't very green you would want more Nitrogen (I've used Dried Blood as an organic Nitrogen additive in my garden at home, you can get it at good garden stores.), if you want to encourage root growth or flowering you'll need more Phosphorus.
As far as pot size, you want to gradually scale up for the best results, basically, you want a pot that is as deep as your tree is tall. The plants do fine if the pot is not so big, but if you give them too much sun and the pot is not big enough, they'll get gangly and out of proportion and you risk needing to water all the time. If you go too big, the soil is going take too long to dry and you can run into mold and root rot.
My Chicago Micro-Lot is coming along, I'll be moving some plants outdoors for the summer and hope to install a self watering system this winter for some Yellow Bourbon and Pacamara that I'm starting....
Jay Cunningham
intelligentsiacoffee.com
jmc

full name: Jay Cunningham
company: Intelligentsia
: www.intelligentsiacoffee.com
: www.directtradecoffee.com

Re: Growing coffee trees?

Postby lukeharris on Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi,

Would anyone like to contribute some concrete updates to this topic since the last post ~2.5 years ago? Specifically, I have 4 honey process parchment cherries that are >1 year old. I never tried germinating them because my thumb is as un-green as they come, but a highly horticulture-oriented friend of mine has offered to try growing them if I can come up with a few steps/resources to help her get started. Is there any chance these are still germinable? Should the parchment come off, first? Any particular soil/fertilizer we should start with? We're at about 800 m elevation here (~2600 ft) and a pretty wintry climate, but she has a good indoor setup where she has grown a wide variety of things successfully.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Luke
R. Luke Harris
Assistant Professor, School of Health Sciences
University of Northern British Columbia
lukeharris

full name: R. Luke Harris
company: University of Northern BC
: www.unbc.ca/healthsciences/faculty.html

Postby Alistair Durie on Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Tom Owen has written a great page on this:
http://www.sweetmarias.com/growingcoffe ... _Home.html
Alistair Durie
Elysian Coffee | photos | tweets
Alistair Durie
admin

full name: Alistair Durie
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com
: www.coffeed.com

Postby lukeharris on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:27 am

Thanks, Alistair. Somehow I missed this before. Awesome resource--we're going to go for it.

L
R. Luke Harris
Assistant Professor, School of Health Sciences
University of Northern British Columbia
lukeharris

full name: R. Luke Harris
company: University of Northern BC
: www.unbc.ca/healthsciences/faculty.html

Postby jdavidwaldman on Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:26 am

fyi, we have a 5-6 year old plant growing in our cafe/roastery, currently bearing fruit, almost ready to "harvest" for our ceremonial thimbleful! I'll try to post pic. we are in new jersey (elevation 440') and, oddly enough, the plant sits by a window near the southfacing entryway door (getting plenty of clod blasts in the winter), lots of morning sun. it's about 4' tall, and in a large ceramic pot, with loose soil and leaf mold compost. we water it 2-3x/week, talk to it a fait bit, and it seems really happy. (a customer gave it to us after several years of no blossoms.) I would appreciate someone identifying it if possible (once pics are posted). thx.
... but how does it taste?
jdavidwaldman

full name: J. David Waldman
company: Rojo's Roastery
: http://www.rojosroastery.com

Postby Alistair Durie on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:08 pm

a post forwarded to me about Coava owner Matt Higgins growing coffee plants

http://marrowmag.com/coffee/matt-higgin ... ee-plants/
Alistair Durie
admin

full name: Alistair Durie
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com
: www.coffeed.com

Postby chris.hallien on Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:37 am

We've been successful growing tress in Vermont as well as Toronto following the instructions in the attachment. Theoretically all current crop greens should represent viable seeds but they can and often do get compromised if subject to extreme conditions in drying, storage or transit.

Chris
Attachments
Coffee Plant - Growing Instructions0001.pdf
(375.46 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
chris.hallien

full name: chris hallien
company: Mother Parkers Tea & Coffee

Previous