Food Lube

grinders for home and commercial

Food Lube

Postby Ed Kaufmann on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:41 pm

I have been shopping around for a food-grade lubricant to use on the threads of my Mazzur Royals after tearing them apart and cleaning them. After an entire afternoon of hopping in and out oif restaurant supply stores, I found what I think I was looking for. I bought a tube of Taylor Lube. It says that it meets USDA 1998 H01 guidelines. "Specially developed for lubrication of food service equipment." The goo inside is clear and pasty. I just want to make sure I am using the right stuff before I slather it all over my grinder.
Ed Kaufmann

full name: Ed Kaufmann
company: coming soon

Re: Food Lube

Postby nick on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:52 pm

Does it turn warm when you blow on it? :wink:

Taylor Lube is sexy and perfectly fine.
Nick Cho
nick

full name: Nicholas Cho
company: Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters
: http://nickcho.com
: http://wreckingballcoffee.com/

Postby Sandy on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:57 pm

good stuff and may i suggest that you wear gloves. this stuff is sticky, icky and hard to get off your hands.
Sandy Hon
supervisor, coffee bar operations
Johnson County Community College
Sandy

full name: Sandy Hon
company: Johnson County Community College

Postby Alistair Durie on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:52 pm

We don't tend to use any lube on our grinder threads unless really needed. The reason for this is that it really attracts grinds into the threads during cleaning, making reassembly tricky.

If it goes in smooth, just keep going.
Alistair Durie
Elysian Coffee | photos | tweets
Alistair Durie
admin

full name: Alistair Durie
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com
: www.coffeed.com

Postby terry on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:53 pm

We use Loctite Food Grade Anti-Seize. Use a very small amount brushed onto the threads, it helps keep things moving and reduces the chance of corrosion.

It is registered to NSF Category H1 for use as a lubricant with incidental food contact in and around food processing areas, so it is perfect for use on grinders.

I agree with Alister that grease will attract grinds, however some form of lubricant or anti seize should be used, simply to reduce galling and binding.
Terry Z
Espressoparts.com
Olympiacoffee.com
terry

Postby phaelon56 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:43 pm

I have lubricated Mazzer threads using a small piece of smooth cotton cloth soaked with a bit of food grade silicone spray. If I recall correctly I saw that mentioned as an option in Schomer's book but he strongly advised against oils (e.g. mineral oil or anything with a gel like consistency based on concerns that the fine particulate of groudn coffee coudl eb attracted to it and build up.

Having done that on a few grinder rebuilds I dropepd the practice and just do a really thorough cleaning of the threads. After degreasing them with I clean again and just remount adjustment collar dry. I don't think the assembly comes with any lube from the factory and tolerances are very precise - if you haven't screwed up by cross-threading they should work just fine without lube.

But I'd love a worm gear on my Major... that would be sweet.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee