sharpening burr blades

grinders for home and commercial

sharpening burr blades

Postby seankohmescher on Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:38 pm

Any suggestions on sharpening burr blades: mazzer, ditting, etc.

Has anyone had any luck using a high speed grinding wheel?
seankohmescher

full name: sean kohmescher
company: temple fine coffee and tea
: www.templecoffee.com

Re: sharpening burr blades

Postby phaelon56 on Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:29 am

I've never heard of anyone doing that - I think it would be so incredibly time consuming as to not be worth it - not to mention that results would be likely to be inaccurate unless you have special equipment. Ditting has a price competitive trade program for used burrs. Send them your Ditting burrs and if the set you send in is in a condition such that they can still be sharpened then they will send you a reconditioned/resharpened set in return (not the same set but for the same model). I've sent in some fairly worn 804 burrs a few times and always got a nice sharpened set back in return within a week or two.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Postby jpscoffee on Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:46 am

You can purchase replacement burrs so inexpensively for most common machines as to make resharpening inefficient. You can get Mazzer burrs for as little as $20 or $30 dollars. Possibly Titanium burrs it may make sense or very expensive sets.
jpscoffee

full name: Jack Groot
company: Midwest Barista School and JP's Coffee
: www.midwestbaristaschool.com

Postby phaelon56 on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:53 am

I neglected to mention that there is of course a charge for the Ditting burr trade-in program but IIRC it's about 13/ to 1/2 the cost of brand new burrs.

Jack makes a good point about new Mazzer burrs. These days, depending on the source, Super Jolly burrs seem to be mostly in the $35 to $50 range and Major burrs are in the $50 to $75 range. The conical burrs for the Robur and Kony are about 3X the price of major burrs but will grind about 3X the number of pounds of beans before needing replacement.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee