A Particle-Grind Size For The Clever Dripper?

grinders for home and commercial

A Particle-Grind Size For The Clever Dripper?

Postby Oliver on Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:38 am

Best grind size for the clever?
Tom says no on the Gold Filters, thoughts?
A few of us want to hear some perspective on this.
Throw it down...
Oliver

full name: Oliver Stormshak
company: Olympia Coffee Roasting Co.
: www.olympiacoffee.com

Re: A Particle-Grind Size For The Clever Dripper?

Postby phaelon56 on Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:15 am

I have played with dosing and grind coarseness but have stayed with brew times of > 4:00 and < 4:30. Tried a gold filter and found that even with coarse grinds I had a fair amount of sludge in the cup but more problematic was excess bitterness.

I lack the Ro-Tap sieves and capability for providing exact metrics on particle size and distribution but my best results are from a grind level that's a tad finer - but not by very much - than one might use for press pot and a bitcoarser than you would use for traditional drip processes. Excessive bitterness is the symptom that appears when I grind too finely. My Ditting 803 needs a bit of adjustment on the grind knob so my numbers may not match yours. At 7 setting I have a grind that would work well in a Fetco extractor, 7.5 is about right for pourover or auto drip and 8 is typically best for the Clever. I think my numbers will change downward by about 1 when I readjust the knob position but the delta between grind settings will be the same.

I love the Clever. Having just recently begin roasting on my own equipment after my multi year side gig of roasting for someone else on their gear.... I'm using the Clever to brew and drink drip coffee again every day whereas I'd been consuming only espresso for a few years prior. The Clever makes consistently great coffee, is very convenient and also performs optimally with smaller charge weights than required for drip.

By the way... a Mazzer doser lid with a small decorative knob attached is a perfect fit as a lid to aid in heat retention while the coffee is brewing. It's problematic if you've filled the Clever to the rim as the Mazzer lid sits just down inside the upper edge but for the batch sizes of 12 to 14 oz or less it's perfect.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Postby Aaron Ultimo on Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:21 pm

I've had a bit of success grinding at a "cupping" grind and steeping for 2 minutes with one more minute to full drop. We're using a Bunn G2 (Mahlkonig Guatemala on the way!) and grinding on the "drip" setting. 14 oz. water/25g of coffee
Aaron Ultimo
Ultimo Coffee
Philadelphia Pa
Aaron Ultimo

full name: aaron ultimo
company: ultimo coffee
: www.ultimocoffee.wordpress.com

Postby Rich Westerfield on Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:00 pm

Also a Bunn, setting halfway between Elec Perk and Press. 23g to ~11.5oz (325g @200F) for a 10oz ACF cup. About 3/8 cup to wet grinds, let bloom for 30-40 secs, finish pour, steep 120-180 sec depending coffee/desired strength, ~50 sec draw down. Anything finer was making draw down long and balky, affecting both temp and taste.

Works with most Americans and Africans although there is one roaster in particular where we had to updose significantly more to get their profile. Still not sure why.
Rich Westerfield, Co-owner
aldocoffee.com
I'm just here to regulate funkiness.
Rich Westerfield

Postby jdavidwaldman on Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:51 pm

ok, what the hell is a "cupping" grind? (aaron, just kidding) wouldn't it be nice if there were a so-called universal standard where "7" meant "7" (or, perhaps, with a cross-reference chart, mahlkonig 7 = ditting 6.75, etc., or better yet, an actual particle size distribution specification, to cover bi-, tri-modal, plate versus conical, etc.). i realize this is much more challenging than it might seem - we are really talking about particle size and shape, and need to take into a/c lots of out-of-calibration machines, etc., and proprietary manufacturers specs. this seems to me to be one of the biggest "missing links" in our current era of de-mystification and quantification of brewing/extraction chemistry. maybe a task for the tech stds committee?
... but how does it taste?
jdavidwaldman

full name: J. David Waldman
company: Rojo's Roastery
: http://www.rojosroastery.com

Postby Christopher Schooley on Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:36 pm

Tom here does a helpful demo for clever use along with discussing grind size and a good way to eye-ball it. If you don't have time to watch the video, the short answer is that it shouldn't clump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzZgk-DGpmA
http://www.coffeeshrub.com
Armed to the teeth with secret words
Christopher Schooley

full name: Christopher Schooley
company: Coffee Shrub
: www.coffeeshrub.com

Postby phaelon56 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:56 am

I'm presently using a grind about the same as I use for vac pot and have reduced my brewing time to 3:30. I do an initial partial pour to saturate and distribute all the grounds then do a final pour. Tried doing a stir after the final pour but it seems to make no difference and gave that up.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Postby Oliver on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:46 pm

Watched the new video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzZgk-DGpmA.
And had really poor results after I tried what Tom recommends in the video. The coffee took 7 minutes to come down and tasted bad to me. Maybe I disagree with the Mojo though?
But, I'm also wondering if my Clever is not working right ( like the hole at the bottom is not letting liquid through fast enough.)

Here's what is working the best for me. I'm using Mellita white filters.
25 grams of coarse ground coffee similar to a french press grind.
425 grams of water
Once all water is in the clever stir, maybe 3 times and start timer for 2 minutes
After 2 minutes start drop
Total drip time 2.5 minutes.

Like I said it's working the best for me so far.
Oliver

full name: Oliver Stormshak
company: Olympia Coffee Roasting Co.
: www.olympiacoffee.com

Postby Christopher Schooley on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:10 pm

Hey Oliver, I've noticed that if the filters aren't folded right, then is can affect the effectiveness. My brew method is pretty close to yours, but I'm brewing a little less at a time (20 g coffee, 350 g water) and I start the timer for 2 mins. and pour all the water quickly then cover right away. At 1 min I stir and re-cover, then drain when the timer goes off. About a 2 minute draw down, roughly 4 min total brew time.
http://www.coffeeshrub.com
Armed to the teeth with secret words
Christopher Schooley

full name: Christopher Schooley
company: Coffee Shrub
: www.coffeeshrub.com