e-robur for pour over bar?

grinders for home and commercial

e-robur for pour over bar?

Postby scottlucey on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:53 am

Hey out there,

I'm interested to hear what people have to say at the idea of using an e-robur (or any e-grinder, programmable doserless grinder) as the grinder of choice for a pour over bar.

Would this be a sufficient way to dose and grind per order? I would imagine it still crucial to weigh doses as a means of insuring consistency.

Is anyone doing this? Are their major cons against this idea, if so what?

Perhaps it's another conversation, but I'm curious to also discuss the ways in which cafes doing pour over only keep up with high volume/busy times.
scott lucey
flickr
Milwaukee WI
scottlucey

full name: Scott Lucey
company: Kickapoo Coffee Roasters
: kickapoocoffee.com

Re: e-robur for pour over bar?

Postby Eton on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Sounds like a great idea to me... I noticed conical burs create a much better grind for pour overs. Im no expert... but I think its the initial "cracking" of the bean when grinding rather then the shearing action from flat burs...
Eton

full name: Eton Tsuno
company: its complicated

Postby PatrickSmith on Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:14 am

I found this to be an interesting, vaguely related post on home-barista....
http://tinyurl.com/323762l
For what it's worth.
PatrickSmith

full name: Patrick Smith
company: UTOPIAN Coffee
: utopiancoffee.com

Postby Keith Gehrke on Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:58 am

Scott,

We are using 2 KONY timer and doserless grinders for our pour over bar. Our first full day of using them was yestersay. I find them to really speed up the grinding and dosing for pour over. We use a scale located to the right of the grinders to calibrate and to insure consitency.

The cons you ask of might be:
Electricity - Depending on the grinders, you need to make sure you can run them without tripping a breaker. We have the grinders on their own circuit for this.

Cost - The benefit of pour over is you are able to offer multiple coffees at once. You would now need one grinder per coffee offered. Also you might need to upgrade your electricity.

Space - Footprint on the counter. Our space is designed to have 3 grinders. Right now we have 2. Where the ginders are placed is key as to not create a wall between the barista and customer.
Keith Gehrke
Able Brewing
Keith Gehrke

full name: Keith Gehrke
company: Able Brewing
: www.ablebrewing.com

Postby sam on Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:29 pm

Compak doserless/timed might be a cheeper grinder to choose. The coffee does not get as hot with the Compaks either. I love your set up at Coava, but $7000 worth of grinding power is not for everybody.
pass the peas....
sam

Postby Keith Gehrke on Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:00 pm

We bought all of our grinders here:

http://www.1st-line.com/machines/home_m ... tronic.htm

For about $5,000 we bought two kony e grinders. A small price to pay for quality and efficient pour over bar. Why would spending this kind of money seem like a lot when it is common practice to spend much more on espresso equipment for espresso drinks?

We wanted to bring our coffee program to the front of the spotlight as much as our espresso program.
Keith Gehrke
Able Brewing
Keith Gehrke

full name: Keith Gehrke
company: Able Brewing
: www.ablebrewing.com

Postby sam on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:14 am

That is a great price. Don't get me wrong, if I had the money I would spend it happily. And if that is your brew method of choice it's worth spending the money to do it right. There are other better priced grinders out there for those of us who can't buy two or three Konys at a time. Know what I mean?
pass the peas....
sam

Postby phaelon56 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:35 am

Keith Gehrke wrote:
Cost - The benefit of pour over is you are able to offer multiple coffees at once. You would now need one grinder per coffee offered. Also you might need to upgrade your electricity.

Space - Footprint on the counter. Our space is designed to have 3 grinders. Right now we have 2. Where the grinders are placed is key as to not create a wall between the barista and customer.

Many home users already weigh their beans per dose for espresso grinding (just as many people doing manual pour-overs in coffee bars are already pre-weighing their doses.)

The grind setting of an espresso grinder needs to be tweaked a bit initially when doing single doses due to the fact that there is no weight of beans in the hopper pushing downward, but once grinder is calibrated for those beans and conditioning it should not need to change much. The issue with the "popcorning" effect of single doses in the grinder throat is easily addressed by leaving the hopper off entirely and putting a tamper into the throat where the hopper was (this woudl require bypassing or disabling the hopper safety interlock that Mazzer has on current generation conical grinders.)

No reason why one grinder couldn't be shared among multiple coffees just as single Ditting or Mahlkoenig is already being shared this way in most bars.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Postby sam on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:01 am

The tamper technique does work well. Never thought about it for this particular application. Normally i do that for SO espresso. Thanks for putting it together like that.
pass the peas....
sam

Postby Mark Inman on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:35 am

What are your thoughts on the Uber Grinder? LM will be carrying them and they seem to be a great set-up for your brew station setup?

Mark Inman
Tru Bru
Mark Inman

full name: Mark Inman
company: Tru Bru
: www.trubru.com

Postby danyee on Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:07 am

Mark, we've been using the Uber grinder as our cupping grinder and for our brew bar. I also have one at home too 8) . I find it a great grinder for manual brew methods. I don't understand using Mazzer-e's for manual brew methods, specifically conicals. I find the over extraction of fines in most peoples methods magnified by using a conical like the Robur-e. Clarity of flavour with the Uber grinder and ability to fine tune methods is a big plus for us.
danyee

full name: Dan Yee
company: AIR Coffee
: www.aircoffee.com
: www.flickr.com/photos/35292968@N0