Grinder(s) for single-cup cafe brewing

grinders for home and commercial

Grinder(s) for single-cup cafe brewing

Postby taylormork on Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:55 am

Anybody out there use multiple grinders for your cafe setup that requires different grind levels? For example, at our shop customers can chose between brews on french press, aeropress and a few different types of drippers....all requiring different grind particle sizes. Obviously most grinders allow for changing the grind setting quite easily, but when things get busy and when there are so many different grind levels used throughout the day, we've been considering using multiple smaller grinders with each set to a different level, instead of one central grinder.

Do smaller grinders such as the Baratzas have enough power and consistency for a cafe setting?

For those (most) using just one grinder and changing the level throughout the day, which do you find ideal (in terms of size of machine and acceptable particle consistency....oh, and cost) for a single-cup brew setting i.e. grind volumes rarely exceeding 32 grams?
taylormork

full name: Taylor Mork
company: Crop to Cup Coffee Co
: www.croptocup.com
: croptocup.wordpress.com

Re: Grinder(s) for single-cup cafe brewing

Postby ryanknapp on Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:23 pm

Taylor,

I would suggest either the Baratza Vario-W. It is a new model with built in scale. We have been using it on our cafe brew bar and really love it. Baratza has offered a lot of support.

Where it has been most helpful is not having to pre-wiegh coffee ahead of time and being able to use the same coffee in one grinder so you are not needing to constantly flush the grinder. We brew 100+ cups a day and it keeps up with us.
ryanknapp

full name: Ryan Knapp
company: MadCap Coffee Company
: www.madcapcoffee.com

Postby Jim Saborio on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:16 pm

I am a bit mystified by this. I was talking to someone a month or so ago and he was using an identical set-up in the shop where he worked.

Baratza was offering a lot of help too... to the tune of one replacement grinder a week. I'm not sure how this level of breakage / malfunction would be acceptable. I'd hate for people to read the previous post and not be made aware of this.

Perhaps I misunderstood the guy, but I don't think I did.
-JIm

...aaannndd the Starbucks down the street just got a Clover
Jim Saborio

full name: Jim Saborio
company: Comet Coffee
: http://twitter.com/cometcoffee

Postby coffeewithdennis on Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:13 am

I would recommend you get the Nespresso C122 Citiz. The reason I recommend this model is because firstly it is readily available whether you shop online or prefer to visit a distributer and is available for less than $299.

Apart from that one of it's best features is the easy insertion system which makes it easy to use and provides coffee on the go thus helping you render services faster in a cafe.

It also fits into the smallest of spaces and is easy to clean an it's high power pump ensures heating is done within 20 seconds. Also it comes with various programs which make it a very versatile machine perfect for any small scale business. Check out this and other top models on my blog https://freshpresso.net/best-nespresso-coffee-makers/
coffeewithdennis

full name: Dennis Rosario
company: FreshPresso