Mazzer Motors

grinders for home and commercial

Mazzer Motors

Postby Lalo Perez-Varona on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:20 am

I was reading about how Mazzer Motors are the same for all Mazzer grinders. Which means that grinders that are set for 500rpms like the Robur or Kony produce significantly more heat given the motor is designed to run at 1200rpm (for the other Mazzer grinders) and fill up a doser chamber.

Has anyone tried to replace the motors in their Robur/Kony to a smaller motor that produces less heat and still gives you 500 rpm?

p.s. I know that this would probably void warranty, but hey, it might mean a cooler grinder.
Lalo Perez-Varona

full name: Lalo Perez-Varona
company: El Tercer Lugar
: stainednapkin.wordpress.com

Re: Mazzer Motors

Postby Lalo Perez-Varona on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:38 pm

update: just finished talking to someone who know quite a bit about this topic and said that changing the motor to a smaller one would be futile.

how frustrating. I'm in the process of buying some grinders and it seems that the choice goes something like "how much money do you want to pay to get the least shitty grinder."
Lalo Perez-Varona

Postby Andy Schecter on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:33 pm

Lalo Perez-Varona wrote:update: just finished talking to someone who know quite a bit about this topic and said that changing the motor to a smaller one would be futile.

The majority of heat in a grinder comes from the actual grinding of the beans between the burrs, not from the motor. So removing motor heat solves only a small portion of the problem.

Lalo Perez-Varona wrote:how frustrating. I'm in the process of buying some grinders and it seems that the choice goes something like "how much money do you want to pay to get the least shitty grinder."

It's not that people haven't tried....
-AndyS
Schectermatic(tm), the oldest, most trusted brand of espresso grinder shnozzola
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
Andy Schecter

Postby Lalo Perez-Varona on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:54 pm

hey andy,

yes that is precisely what he said. I had imagined that the motor would have more to do with heat production.

I'm sure people have tried before, and am sure that there is an ongoing development of grinders that are better, but I still think that for now the choice still goes something like I outlined previously.

does anyone have any experience with the versalab grinders in a commercial setting?
Lalo Perez-Varona

Postby Andy Schecter on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:23 am

Lalo Perez-Varona wrote:does anyone have any experience with the versalab grinders in a commercial setting?

Have you seen this video?
-AndyS
Schectermatic(tm), the oldest, most trusted brand of espresso grinder shnozzola
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
Andy Schecter

Postby Lalo Perez-Varona on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:28 pm

yeah! thanks for the link though. I lived in Boulder for a while and have been to that shop. I may be wrong on this but I think that the Laughing Goat's volume is spread out throughout the day. Im interested in finding out if these grinders would hold up in a morning or lunch rush environment in a large cities downtown area.

They seem pretty legit, but having not used one before, I don't know how they would hold up . Im also worried about the "popcorning" effect playing a role in every shot you grind. Again, I don't know that this would be an issue, just speculating. In my experience that tends to make the last beans to go through grind coarser, throwing off extraction rate.
Lalo Perez-Varona