Increase in Iced Coffee Consumption?

coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee

Increase in Iced Coffee Consumption?

Postby Daniel Humphries on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:06 pm

I was driving the NY-Bos corridor this week with Steve Mierisch, and we started talking about whether there has been a perceptible increase in the sale of ice coffee this year versus previous years, both in "super specialty" and in the general market, and whether, if so, this would represent a general trend and we could therefore look to see overall annual per capita consumption go up in the US, more or less permanently.

I don't own a shop and only work in one sporadically this summer (and this shop was not even built yet last summer), so I don't have access to any numbers. Does anyone have numbers on this from your own business, or at least some anecdotal answer?

Can I get a general agreement that if this hypothesis is correct, this would be a good thing for the industry?
Daniel Humphries

full name: Daniel Humphries
company: Coffee Scholars

Re: Increase in Iced Coffee Consumption?

Postby Marshall on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:06 am

Mintel tracks this and has numbers (subscription required). The category seems to be growing, but note that this includes high-caloric bottled and canned drinks.
Marshall Fuss
Lawyer
Pasadena, California
Member SCAA
Marshall

full name: Marshall Fuss
company: Marshall R. Fuss, Attorney at Law
: http://www.linkedin.com/in/fusslaw

Re: Increase in Iced Coffee Consumption?

Postby Daniel Humphries on Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:53 pm

Interesting. Thanks, Marshall.

Perhaps the timing is not right to be doing an investigation of this type... maybe once the hot weather dissipates people will be better suited to take stock of what's changing and what's not.

Seems like it's a pretty important data point for people to track, though.
Daniel Humphries

full name: Daniel Humphries
company: Coffee Scholars