Coffee/Roaster in Miami

coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee

Coffee/Roaster in Miami

Postby Yara Tucek on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I have 4 days layover in Miami before going to Boquete. Its my first time in town and thus would really appreciate some advice on good cafe/roastery. Any suggestions? I will be staying in Coral Gables but wouldnt mind travelling for a nice cup of coffee.

Thanks!
Yara Tucek

full name: Yara Tucek
company: doubleshot - czech coffee roasters
: www.doubleshot.cz

Re: Coffee/Roaster in Miami

Postby jpscoffee on Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:06 am

I did a job for a client right in Coral Gables. It is called "Pasion Coffee" (http://pasioncoffee.com/). Their focus is coffee from the Americas and they serve 11 espresso blends, all American coffees. Yes, even a JBM with 80% Genuine JBM in the blend.

If you go there I would appreciate an email from you on your evaluation of the store and their product. Kinda like hoping they are doing it right, but a little concerned that 11 espresso grinders with 11 espresso blends is a tough thing to execute well. But, being that they are in an area like Miami, it could be working well. I know they are selling a lot of coffee.
jpscoffee

full name: Jack Groot
company: Midwest Barista School and JP's Coffee
: www.midwestbaristaschool.com

Postby Yara Tucek on Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:41 am

Wow, 11 espresso grinders? Thats gotta be a tough one :lol:

Anyways, thanks a lot for the suggestion. I will stop by for sure and send you an email how was it ...

Yara
Yara Tucek

full name: Yara Tucek
company: doubleshot - czech coffee roasters
: www.doubleshot.cz

Postby phaelon56 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:16 am

If you have transportation it's worth visiting the Little Havana section for some Cuban food and to try a Cafe Cubano or two from one of the many storefront / sidewalk front purveyors. It's not espresso per se and it's heavily sweetened but as a cultural tradition it's worth experiencing and trying.

As for multiple espresso blends and grinders.... yikes! I think it's very tough for anyone to pull of more than three or four different espresso offerings at once - much less eleven. Seattle Coffee Works is the only place I've been that tried to do more than two or three (I think they had six or seven when I was there). I think it was a real challenge for them to do justice to that number - I can't imagine doing more. That said - next time I'm in Miami I'll try out Pasion Coffee. Good espresso is something I've never had much luck finding in South Florida.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Postby jpscoffee on Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:29 am

I've been to Seattle Coffee Works and Sebastian served up an excellent espresso. It was something like a "Pike's Blend" espresso. I asked for the most popular and he recommended it. It became my daily fix, as it is a block from Pike's Market and was a rare exceptional espresso find.

I know, I digressed from Miami, but...
jpscoffee

full name: Jack Groot
company: Midwest Barista School and JP's Coffee
: www.midwestbaristaschool.com