Systems for taking orders....

coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee

Systems for taking orders....

Postby Rob Larson on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:48 am

Im trying to get some input on what systems other wholesale companies are using to take and process their coffee orders. Since i started at Equator about 10 years ago, we have been using a very primitive system. The customer calls in and leaves a voicemail with their order, and when its received by our office, the order is transferred to our custom order-tickets with all of our blends and single origins. The tickets we use are the kind with a white, yellow, and pink copy in one. The white copy goes to the person who then makes the appropriate bags to be filled, the yellow goes to shelves and boxes where the order will be fulfilled, and the pink stays with the office for invoicing and ups label making.

Anyways, this system has worked fine for us, but i know there are more efficient ways of doing this. I would love to hear what others are doing, whether it be a sophisticated software program for taking orders, or just another way of doing it in general. Any input or suggestions would be very well received. Thanks.

Rob Larson
Rob Larson

full name: Rob Larson
company: Mr. Espresso
: http://www.mrespresso.com

Re: Systems for taking orders....

Postby Brent on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi Rob,

Be very careful about what you change.

In it's simplest sense - the process you describe has some good features - built in error checking as the order is packed, and backups galore of the order.

I work in IT during the day, and in reality what we try and do is improve process. Sometimes the manual process is not simply automated because it is in all reality already very efficient.

What it isn't is cool looking, hasn't got an app in the iStore etc, but hey it actually works. So I tend to try and work on the bit between automated and manual to make that bit work.

For our coffee orders we have a similar sort of process and the bits that need improving are at the ends of the process - order receiving and billing. The bit in the middle is actually OK, and that I suspect is your issue also from what you describe. My order processing / fulfillment / production schedule does happen to be on computer - but only Excel, and a simple spreadsheet at that.

If you want to get specific offline, please feel free to contact me.

But remember primitive that works is pretty good, and doesn't require power!
Brent
Brent

full name: Brent
company: .

Postby Rob Larson on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:05 am

Thanks for the input Brent!

Rob
Rob Larson

full name: Rob Larson
company: Mr. Espresso
: http://www.mrespresso.com

Postby JackieBillings on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:09 am

We have been using post-it notes with great success for over 10 years. They come in all sorts of fun colors too.
---------------------------------
Jackie Billings
Mocha Joe's Roasting Company
JackieBillings

full name: Jackie Billings
company: Mocha Joe's Roasting Company
: www.mochajoes.com