Cupping unrested coffee at origin

coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee

Cupping unrested coffee at origin

Postby gradybuhler on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:02 pm

Last week my co-workers and I had the opportunity to cup two Bourbons at El Carmen Estate, Ataco, El Salvador. We didn't know it at the time, but they were the same coffee. One of them had been rested 15 days in parchment, whereas the other had been rested a full 45 days in parchment. We rejected the 15 day as grassy, dirty, and inarticulate. We loved the 45 day. It was crystal-clean with bright, clear acidity.

In Guatemala we cupped a number of coffees that were at various stages of rest. At the end of the day, we decided not to buy any coffee on the spot, but to note which coffees we liked and wait for rested, landed samples.

What are your experiences with this? Has anyone bought coffee at origin that tasted drastically different when they received it? Thoughts?
gradybuhler

full name: Grady Buhler
company: JJBean Coffee Roasters
: www.jjbeancoffee.com

Re: Cupping unrested coffee at origin

Postby David Kastle on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:35 am

Cupping at origin is always dicey - water quality, water temperature, roast, grind, etc. Add to that cupping insufficiently rested coffee.... If I am buying coffee, I want to cup it in a known environment. Even so, when I get preshipment samples early in the season, that coffee will often be under-rested. You can see it in the appearance of the green and taste it in the cup - and you have to do some mental compensation - look beyond the grassiness and green flavor and focus on the basics - body, acidity, sweetness, flavor notes - and add additional rest in parchment as well as in transit.
David Kastle

full name: David Kastle
company: Swiss Water Decaffeinated Coffee Co USA
: www.swisswater.com

Postby Timothy Hill on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:33 pm

Cupping at origin for me is certainly more challenging, but at the same time I have never experienced a coffee that tasted bad at origin (that had a proper roast, water, grind etc.) that after rest tasted good. I have certainly seen some coffees settle out slightly, and taste maybe a point or a touch better, but nothing significant. I have also noticed that this is much more drastic with coffees that have been dried quickly. Mechanical or a too hot Patio (3-4 days.) African coffees that have been dried on raised beds, for me cup great out of the gate, and those are the coffees that hold up...coincidence? It is just my opinion, but I think the notion that coffees change drastically is overplayed at origin. That is a cool experiment though, I will have to try it out--maybe I am way off---I have just never experienced that-- and I cup a lot at origin and then again the same coffee in my lab.
Timothy Hill
Counter Culture Coffee
Timothy Hill

Postby Dan Streetman on Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:05 pm

Tim,

would you be inclined to think that coffees that do change dramatically from origin to landed either are more inconsistent or that it potentially was not a representative sample to begin with?
Dan Streetman
Dan Streetman

full name: Dan Streetman
company: Irving Farm Coffee Company
: http://www.irvingfarm.com/