all members must use real identities

about coffeed.com

all members must use real identities

Postby Alistair Durie on Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:39 am

there's a new policy at coffeed.com and thats real identities.
this policy is being introduced to create total and honest transparancy within the coffeed membership. in two parts:

your real name must be displayed either as your username or in your posting signature. first name and initial is fine. this means you may choose any username but your real name must appear in your signature appearing in all of your posts.

the company you work for must be stated in your profile as a website or in your signature.

lets not make this too complicated, just make it easy for everyone to know who you are and who you work for.

editing your profile can be done from the profile link on the main menu.
email or send me message if you would like to change your username.

alistair
Alistair Durie
admin

full name: Alistair Durie
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com
: www.coffeed.com

Postby Marty G Curtis on Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:00 am

I think it's a great Ideal more BBS should demand it you may see more complete answer and not as much bullsh*t
CSSSI
Marty G Curtis

Postby Strugs on Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:58 am

No problem with the real name issue, but does the company info requirement include those of us that may not work in the coffee industry (yet)?
Sean Strugnell
Strugs

Postby Alistair Durie on Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:57 am

just coffee amd related companies
Alistair Durie
admin

Postby dwelltimester on Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Great idea, Alistair. Too bad there isn't a field for name proper and affiliation-- could be mandatory fields for new accounts.
Nick B.
barista on sabbatical (I miss you caffe artigiano!)
www.dwelltime.net
dwelltimester

Postby malachi on Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:49 pm

New US law...

"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."
Chris Tacy -- (ex)Barista
http://godshot.blogspot.com/
malachi

full name: chris tacy
company: [No Longer Involved in Coffeed]

Postby coffeetaster on Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:44 pm

In full compliance.
Spencer Turer

Specialty coffee is a matter of choice; not a beverage of chance!"
coffeetaster

full name: Spencer Turer
company: Coffee Analysts
: www.coffeeanalysts.com

Postby Pe_tah on Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:26 pm

Thanks alistair

this idea gives coffeed a much better sense of coffee community (ie. no bullsh*t).
Peter Hoang
Sacramento, CA
Pe_tah

Postby fleck on Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:39 pm

the company you work for must be stated in your profile as a website or in your signature.

Why? What if someone wants to post something as a coffee professional that may not be reflective of that person's company whatsoever? I don't know how the company I work for has anything to do with what I post on a computer bulliten board system when I'm not at work and on my own time. This is stupid.

--Stephen
stephen e. vick
chicago, illinois
svick[at]intelligentsiacoffee[dot]com
fleck

full name: stephen vick
company: intelligentsia coffee
: http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com

Postby Alistair Durie on Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:30 pm

in one word: transparency, defined as "free from pretense or deceit".

this is not a place where people can hide behind an alias to strategically talk positively or negatively about their own or another company.

you still own what you post, they are your words not that of your company.

just like you said: you think its stupid, it wasn't stumptown saying its stupid, stephen said it was stupid. stephen vick who currently works at stumptown, he said it was stupid.

no reflection on your company what-so-ever.
Alistair Durie
Elysian Coffee | photos | tweets
Alistair Durie
admin

Postby onocoffee on Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:36 am

I tend to think along the lines of Stephen. The reason (at least my understanding of it) this board was created was to foster communication between a limited group of coffee professionals to avoid the open (and sometimes chaotic) nature of the other forums.

Because of this, the individuals discussing on Coffeed are known entities. No one here is random. Each person has been "approved" and their accounts authorized to post. Because of this, I think the need to "disclose" is absurd.

Further, if there is no reflection on the company you work for then there is no need to disclose that same company. In our case, Stephen works for Stumptown, and considering the history of this group, should he move to another company that nugget would be known to 75% of this group within hours - regardless of what is written to this board.
Jay Caragay

Lono
new explorations in coffee + cuisine.
onocoffee

full name: Jay Caragay
company: spiral jetty
: www.sprocoffee.com
: onocoffee.blogspot.com

Postby nick on Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:44 am

There are plenty of places where people can hide behind their screennames out there. This isn't one of them, that's all.

Accountability's a bitch, eh?
Nick Cho
nick

full name: Nicholas Cho
company: Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters
: http://nickcho.com
: http://wreckingballcoffee.com/

Postby onocoffee on Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:47 am

There's been accountability here since Coffeed's inception and prior to the "need" to sig with your name and company.

That's the reality of Coffeed.
Jay Caragay

Lono
onocoffee

Postby Jason Haeger on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:41 pm

onocoffee wrote:I tend to think along the lines of Stephen. The reason (at least my understanding of it) this board was created was to foster communication between a limited group of coffee professionals to avoid the open (and sometimes chaotic) nature of the other forums.

It's a beautiful thing, yes?
onocoffee wrote:Because of this, the individuals discussing on Coffeed are known entities. No one here is random. Each person has been "approved" and their accounts authorized to post.

Thank God for that. I think it really keeps this place tidy.

onocoffee wrote:In our case, Stephen works for Stumptown, and considering the history of this group, should he move to another company that nugget would be known to 75% of this group within hours - regardless of what is written to this board.

You know, if I had changed jobs, considering my current company's nature, no-one here (or anywhere else, really) would have a clue.

nick wrote:There are plenty of places where people can hide behind their screennames out there. This isn't one of them, that's all.

Accountability's a bitch, eh?

Or a blessing.. perhaps?
Jason Haeger

full name: Jason Haeger
company: AJ Coffee Company | EspressoTrainer.com
: http://www.ajcoffeeco.com

Postby Alistair Durie on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:07 pm

Jay, you are taking for granted that you are 'in the know' and you know everyone. Not everyone is a social flirt like you, and knows everyone in the industry.

This is a site for industry professionals - give me one reason NOT to have full disclosure who you are and who you work for. So far you've said its just "stupid".

What would you like to hide?
Alistair Durie
Elysian Coffee | photos | tweets
Alistair Durie
admin

Postby Robert Goble on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:28 pm

Transparency - how can it be anything but positive? It allows for better networking, it helps level the playing field for newer or less connected members, it gives you something to vet people's professional and personal opinions while taking quick note of any potential bias or conflict. This all means faster, better and a more free exchange of information -- it also elevates the level of discussion and helps foster a culture of professionalism and brotherhood/sisterhood in the coffee community. In this way it also serves to legitimise everyone's participation here. There are just so many positives. Ecco Homo.
Robert Goble
Elysian Coffee
Robert Goble

full name: Robert Goble

Postby onocoffee on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:03 pm

I think some of you are reading something that I have not written. I'm not advocating anonymity on Coffeed. Like Stephen, I think that the "requirement" to list the company you work for is a bit Draconian.

Alistair-
In spite of your assertions, I certainly am not "in the know." But whether it's me or anyone else on Coffeed, our identities are known by you (and most others) before being eligible to participate here.

Unlike some of the other people who post here, I own my company. It's highly unlikely the CEO of my company is going to read this board, not like what I've written on behalf of the company (which is the implication with the company requirement) and seek retribution against me. That's the luxury of being The Boss.

However, those who are not in a similar position do face potential consequences for what they have written on behalf of their company. "Stephen Vick, Barista Guru" is a quite bit different than "Stephen Vick, Stumptown Coffee Roasters."

Dasein-
There's no argument against transparency here. Coffeed is transparent. Most of us know each other at least by name, if not by reputation or in person. Alistair knows who each identity is as well. Transparency is here.

The elimination of this company requirement does not diminish the transparency or the free exchange of information.

Tell me why it matters what company any of us are employed by?
Jay Caragay

Lono
onocoffee

Postby James Hoffmann on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:14 pm

I am very aware of who I work for, as it is a machine supplier and a lot of talk on message boards is about equipment and what people should buy (though not really on here).

I find it easier just to avoid talking about it wherever possible, though I tend to disclose freely on other message boards who I work for so there is no confusion when posting.

I quite like the idea of here being not about work, just about collective coffee obsessing.
James Hoffmann

full name: James Hoffmann
company: Square Mile Coffee Roasters
: http://www.squaremilecoffee.com
: http://www.jimseven.com

Postby Robert Goble on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:10 pm

onocoffee wrote:Tell me why it matters what company any of us are employed by?

Because it's part of who you are and what colours your beliefs and opinions when you come to this board. It allows others to vet your opinions -- it's also about elevating the level of discourse - something that tends to happen when you fly your colours so-to-speak. It also fantastically facilitates networking. As general reasons these are seem pretty compelling to me.
Robert Goble
Elysian Coffee
Robert Goble

Postby Robert Goble on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:25 pm

James Hoffmann wrote:I am very aware of who I work for, as it is a machine supplier...

...I quite like the idea of here being not about work, just about collective coffee obsessing.

I'm not aware of who you work for, and in some future discussion about machines or coffee I may want to know that you work for company x that supplies machine Y, when you are offering an opinion about machine Z, or an issue that might have an impact on your company or your sector of the industry, or a competitor etc....

That's not making this board about your work, but it's about a certain transparency that will help all of us avoid the appearance of a hidden conflict of interest. Be who you are - fly your colours and use this forum as a place to learn, share and discuss coffee and coffee related issues.

I fully believe that we are getting closer to a critical mass here where this forum will really become something quite valuable and unique (in some ways it already is) to all of us.
Robert Goble
Elysian Coffee
Robert Goble

Postby onocoffee on Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:27 pm

Dasein wrote:Because it's part of who you are and what colours your beliefs and opinions when you come to this board.

I call Bullocks on that.

Unless you are heavily vested in a company, or have the ability to mold a company culture, such as Alistair or myself, then I seriously question the notion that a company's culture is a part of the employee.

Dasein wrote:... but it's about a certain transparency that will help all of us avoid the appearance of a hidden conflict of interest.

Okay, now that's a reason where I can see some sense of legitimacy because I've certainly seen people post on different forums information that looked benign but seemed suspicious once the company was revealed.

Dasein wrote:I fully believe that we are getting closer to a critical mass here where this forum will really become something quite valuable and unique (in some ways it already is) to all of us.

I think this forum is already quite valuable and unique. The SCAA discussions are a prime example of this. I seriously doubt this level of discourse would have taken place had Coffeed not been a selective group of contributors. If Coffeed had the popularity of the BGA Board or CoffeeGeek, I certainly would not have discussed the issues as freely as I have done here.
Jay Caragay

Lono
onocoffee

Postby Robert Goble on Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:10 pm

onocoffee wrote:
Dasein wrote:Because it's part of who you are and what colours your beliefs and opinions when you come to this board.

I call Bullocks on that.

Jay, I think we are essentially in agreement here, all bullocks aside. It's not a stretch to think that Barista X working for say Vivace is going to have a predictable set of beliefs and biases that reflect the training and culture (and perhaps the agenda*) of that place. That's what I'm talking about.

*I'm not saying Vivace has an agenda -- this is just an example.
Robert Goble
Elysian Coffee
Robert Goble

Postby Alistair Durie on Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:16 pm

i would just like to note that in the case of this particular policy (which I have had a lot of positive feedback on until now), is not open for change or exceptions.
Alistair Durie
admin

Postby Jason Haeger on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:08 am

alistair wrote:i would just like to note that in the case of this particular policy (which I have had a lot of positive feedback on until now), is not open for change or exceptions.

That says it all. I, for one, am glad the policy is in effect. It's interesting to see where people come from.. not because it shapes their beliefs, but because it's just interesting to see what the community is comprised of. I've seen some companies in signatures that everyone is familiar with, an others that I've never heard of before.

If that company has an employee who is a member here, then that company is worth visiting/doing business with at least once.
Jason Haeger

full name: Jason Haeger
company: AJ Coffee Company | EspressoTrainer.com
: http://www.ajcoffeeco.com

Postby onocoffee on Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:10 am

alistair wrote:i would just like to note that in the case of this particular policy (which I have had a lot of positive feedback on until now), is not open for change or exceptions.

Hey, I'm from America. I'm getting used to living in a Police State under a Dictatorship.

That said, most of you know me and have seen me take hardline stances on certain issues. I appreciate the hardline stance. It lets me know what to expect. Rather than the individual who seems to promise everything and you never know what's going to be delivered.
Jay Caragay

Lono
onocoffee

Next