What's Missing from the SCAA Blog?

the specialty coffee association of america

Re: What's Missing from the SCAA Blog?

Postby nick on Mon May 12, 2008 9:24 am

bz wrote:you don't have to like twitter for it to be a really useful thing.

Maybe you're right, Ben.

So far, the only reliable use for Twitter that I've experienced is in successfully evoking the same thought to my head every time I come across it: "And why the hell do you think that I need to know what you're eating right now?"
Nick Cho
nick

full name: Nicholas Cho
company: Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters
: http://nickcho.com
: http://wreckingballcoffee.com/

Postby Ellie on Mon May 12, 2008 9:40 am

malachi wrote:4 - I do, honestly, feel that the SCAA would benefit from external (independent) voices. This probably doesn't come as a shock to those who have, in the past, heard me describe that insular, secretive and borderline corrupt organization as "Kremlin-esque".

This is a very serious and offensive thing to say, Chris, not to mention completely untrue. SCAA is not corrupt nor are we borderline-corrupt.

Please remember that when you hurl these kinds of allegations at "the SCAA" that it is not some sort of nebulous, faceless, organization that you attack- it is me, it is my committee of talented, honest volunteers, it is hundreds of dedicated volunteers across several committees, it is my fellow volunteer board members, and it is an awesome, extremely hardworking staff. As such I find this allegation extremely offensive and vehemently disagree with your assessment of SCAA.

Respectfully,
Ellie
Ellie Matuszak
SCAA Professional Development Director
WBC Board of Directors
Ellie

full name: Ellie Matuszak
company: SCAA
: http://scaa.org
: http://scaasymposium.org

Postby Marshall on Mon May 12, 2008 9:48 am

Peter G wrote:Marshall-

The audio recordings of all the SCAA educational sessions are available on CD-ROM for $299. No hotel rooms necessary. They can order it and have it sent to their house. Not quite a webinar, but next best I suppose.

PG

Good point, Peter. I'm curious how popular they are.
Marshall Fuss
Lawyer
Pasadena, California
Member SCAA
Marshall

full name: Marshall Fuss
company: Marshall R. Fuss, Attorney at Law
: http://www.linkedin.com/in/fusslaw

Postby onocoffee on Mon May 12, 2008 11:41 am

Ellie wrote:This is a very serious and offensive thing to say, Chris, not to mention completely untrue. SCAA is not corrupt nor are we borderline-corrupt.

Please remember that when you hurl these kinds of allegations at "the SCAA" that it is not some sort of nebulous, faceless, organization that you attack- it is me, it is my committee of talented, honest volunteers, it is hundreds of dedicated volunteers across several committees, it is my fellow volunteer board members, and it is an awesome, extremely hardworking staff. As such I find this allegation extremely offensive and vehemently disagree with your assessment of SCAA.

Does the fact that the SCAA is made up of real people with real faces make the problems less real? Or non-existent?

I don't know about other people out there but it's starting to look like a new cast of characters is starting to circle their wagons as the same old song starts to play over the SCAA.
Jay Caragay

Lono
new explorations in coffee + cuisine.
onocoffee

full name: Jay Caragay
company: spiral jetty
: www.sprocoffee.com
: onocoffee.blogspot.com

Postby Ellie on Mon May 12, 2008 11:53 am

onocoffee wrote:
Does the fact that the SCAA is made up of real people with real faces make the problems less real? Or non-existent?

I don't know about other people out there but it's starting to look like a new cast of characters is starting to circle their wagons as the same old song starts to play over the SCAA.

Jay, you're not listening. The issue is not "real faces," that was simply a reminder. The issue is that the SCAA is not corrupt. I'm not corrupt. Neither are my committee members, other volunteers, board members, or staff. As a volunteer yourself, YOU are included when someone says "the SCAA" is corrupt. Maybe that doesn't bother you, but it bothers me, especially when it comes to my fellow volunteers. They do not deserve to have allegations like this leveled at them, not because they work hard for the association (which they do) but because it isn't true.
Ellie Matuszak
WBC Board of Directors
Ellie

Postby Sandy on Mon May 12, 2008 12:48 pm

nick wrote:
The connectivity issue is an interesting one. On the one hand, I see the value in helping those covering the Conference. On the other hand, I don't know if giving away wireless (I mean it isn't free... someone has to pay for it) is the best thing to do either.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned already, but why not open up a sponsorship opportunity for a wifi hot spot in the convention center for everyone , not just press, to have access to? I'm not a techie and don't fully understand the logisitcs but is this a possibility for Atlanta?
Sandy Hon
supervisor, coffee bar operations
Johnson County Community College
Sandy

full name: Sandy Hon
company: Johnson County Community College

Postby Peter G on Mon May 12, 2008 1:34 pm

There was a free wireless hotspot this year, in the foyer outside the conference hall (convenient to a bunch of tables and chairs) sponsored by Interamerican coffee.
Peter Giuliano
Specialty Coffee Association of America
Peter G

full name: Peter Giuliano
company: Specialty Coffee Association of America

Postby onocoffee on Mon May 12, 2008 1:34 pm

Ellie wrote:Jay, you're not listening. The issue is not "real faces," that was simply a reminder. The issue is that the SCAA is not corrupt. I'm not corrupt. Neither are my committee members, other volunteers, board members, or staff. As a volunteer yourself, YOU are included when someone says "the SCAA" is corrupt. Maybe that doesn't bother you, but it bothers me, especially when it comes to my fellow volunteers. They do not deserve to have allegations like this leveled at them, not because they work hard for the association (which they do) but because it isn't true.

You're right, when I served as a volunteer within the SCAA I was included in the "corruption" labeling. I may not have deserved to have those allegations leveled at me (by way of the association), but that's how it was.

In turn, I didn't attempt to spin the dialogue or plead with the membership that "we're people too." I remained critical of the way the associations' business was being handled and acknowledged the problems.

However, the reality is that the talk of problems or corruption within the SCAA is rarely leveled towards the people who do the hard work, but rather towards the leadership. Towards those for whom the membership have placed their trust and elected to their positions.

With that in mind, you might consider that the majority of the current BoD were elected by those willing to participate in the election on the promise of change, not for the return of the wagons circling.
Jay Caragay

Lono
new explorations in coffee + cuisine.
onocoffee

full name: Jay Caragay
company: spiral jetty
: www.sprocoffee.com
: onocoffee.blogspot.com

Postby Ellie on Mon May 12, 2008 1:56 pm

The live blogging, the 5 regional Skill-building workshops we held throughout the year, the new RG accreditation classes and the regional comps in all 10 regions, are four easy and salient examples of major change that happened within this past year. I definitely am super excited about these things- and other programs- that I and the rest of the BoD and the hundreds of volunteer committee members and staff will continue to work on this year to make 08-09 even better AND, in the case of the Board, to live up to promises of our respective elections, which you better believe is something we all take very seriously. I think the types of regional/educational activities mentioned above are awesome and definitely represent a departure from the way the association had to run itself in order to simply survive. It is very cool to see these things happening and I know it's going to get better and better as we get stronger.

And please don't misrepresent me- I don't think nor did I say that the association being made of "real people" absolves us of any responsibility to our members. That is ridiculous and I would never say that. No spinning happening here either Jay, I'm just calling attention to two facts: 1) SCAA is not corrupt and 2) making very serious allegations as such don't just hurt the institution- they hurt real people whether or not it is the intention of the poster. Sometimes that is easy for people to forget.
Ellie Matuszak
WBC Board of Directors
Ellie

Postby Mark Prince on Mon May 12, 2008 4:11 pm

Peter G wrote:There was a free wireless hotspot this year, in the foyer outside the conference hall (convenient to a bunch of tables and chairs) sponsored by Interamerican coffee.

More next year, please ;)

Re Nick asking if it's something the SCAA should pay for. Yes, IMO, it should be part of the marketing budget.

Mark
Mark Prince
Just in it for the espresso and coffee, Vancouver BC
Mark Prince

full name: Mark Prince
company: CoffeeGeek.com
: www.CoffeeGeek.com

Previous