SCAA Cupping Events Clearinghouse

the specialty coffee association of america

SCAA Cupping Events Clearinghouse

Postby aaronblanco on Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:54 pm

Is there anything that resembles a master list of national coffee associations hosting public cupping events throughout the SCAA exposition? I realize this list could get really long, really fast. I've searched the SCAA site and kept my ear to the tracks and have so far found only Nicaragua and India.

Being a first time SCAA conference attendee maybe this information will be very easy to come by once I begin roaming the expo floor. But as Andrew noted on his coffeed post re: Indian coffees, some of these events may not be at the expo site proper.

Doesn't have to be cupping events only. Any sick coffee partays info would be apprished.
Aaron Blanco, Invincible Coffee Spirit
aaronblanco

full name: Aaron Blanco
company: The Brown Coffee Company
: browncoffeeco.com
: Twitter: @browncoffeeco

Re: SCAA Cupping Events Clearinghouse

Postby Shawn H on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:36 am

Aaron,
You probably wont find an all inclusive list. The Indian and Nicaraguan cuppings you are referring to are not SCAA sanctioned events, they are typically put on by individual parties to promote those coffees- which is why often times they are at a nearby hotel.

At any rate I don't think you are too far in the dark- those are the only two I have heard of as well. The other place to see some different origins showcased is at the Coffee Of The Year (COTY) cuppings, which will be going on pretty much all day for all three days of the Expo.
Shawn H

full name: Shawn Hamilton
company: Java City
: www.javacity.com

Postby Tim Dominick on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:12 am

The COTY cuppings are limited to Q graders and a few others who signed up in advance this year. It is not a cupping that is open for drop-ins because there is a limited amount of roasted sample available for the preliminary rounds and the final 10. Last year after the competition was over there were a few people who impromptu cupped some of the samples.

In the past roasters who have a booth on the show floor offer cupping sessions and perhaps a few importers are doing cuppings offsite again this year. Otherwise the India and Nicaragua are the two that come to mind.
Tim Dominick

full name: Tim Dominick
company: Sacred Grounds Coffee
: www.sacred-grounds.com

Postby Andrew Hetzel on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:37 am

Shawn H wrote:Aaron,
You probably wont find an all inclusive list. The Indian and Nicaraguan cuppings you are referring to are not SCAA sanctioned events, they are typically put on by individual parties to promote those coffees- which is why often times they are at a nearby hotel.

We contacted the SCAA and show management company about holding our cupping event within the convention hall and they said that there was no facility for that use.

I propose the SCAA should have a cupping room available for lease at future shows by private producers, importer/exporters or associations -- maybe even draft some kind of "master schedule" of all the companies on display as Aaron suggested... could be a useful feature of the event and much more convenient than having private parties dragging cupping gear all over the city. It seems that the SCAA is just missing out on a revenue generating opportunity by causing us and our guests to leave the venue.

That being said, the cost would have to be reasonable. We were able to book a ground floor business meeting room at the Embassy Suites (5 mins. walking distance) for the entire day for about the same price as a hotel room! Way cheaper than getting a booth on the show floor and more flexible.
Andrew Hetzel
Cafemakers, LLC
Andrew Hetzel

full name: Andrew Hetzel
company: Cafemakers, LLC
: http://cafemakers.com
: http://twitter.com/HIflyer