Committee Announcement

the specialty coffee association of america

Committee Announcement

Postby Ric Rhinehart on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:37 am

The SCAA is undertaking some significant changes to its volunteer committee structure and I thought I might post this communication here for those interested:

Memo To: SCAA Committee Members & Volunteers

Memo From: Mike Ebert
President, Board of Directors, SCAA

SUBJECT: Committee Alignment

As we embark on planning for the 2009/10 fiscal year and 2010 Symposium and Exposition, the Board of Directors and I felt it was important to reevaluate the committee structure to ensure we are well aligned to pursue our strategic themes. In doing so, it became apparent we could do a better job of aligning committees with our strategic initiatives while also improving continuity, decision-making and interaction among the groups.

While there are some shifts in structure, these changes should not affect any individuals' participation or interests. I fully understand that a committed volunteer base is vital to achieve our goals, so you remain a welcomed and valued part of the process.

As far as the new structure, you'll see we now have three distinct groups: Committees, Sub-Committees, and Councils. Committees, led by three Board members and supported by Sub-Committees as well as Staff Leads, execute strategies and tactics outlined in the SCAA strategic plan:

Executive Committee - Manage a sound organization
Professional Development Committee - Provide professional development
Statistics & Standards Committee - Compile and communicate information
Events Committee - Build a vibrant community

Councils advise the SCAA Board of Directors on issues related to their particular interest groups as well as conceive and elaborate projects for consideration, presenting a business case for their initiatives. Staff liaisons are also assigned to each Council and play a key role in developing projects. Councils are integrated but independent groups with a clearly defined vision, mission, and purpose. More information about Councils follows and I've also included an organizational chart to better illustrate the new structure.

Again, our intention is to more effectively align with our strategic themes and on that note, we have a lot of work to do. I look forward to seeing each of you at the SCAA Leadership Summit in September (formerly known as the Joint Committee-Board Meetings) where we will go into more detail about this new structure and specific goals for the year ahead.

My Best,

Mike Ebert

SCAA Councils
Overview

Introduction and Purpose: Councils advise the SCAA Board of Directors on issues related to their particular interest groups as well as conceive and elaborate projects for consideration, presenting a business case for their initiatives. Councils are integrated but independent groups with a clearly defined vision, mission, and purpose. They play an essential role in creating strategies and a sustainable future for SCAA by advising the Board of Directors, Executive Director and relevant committees on trends, opportunities, and the needs of a particular constituency.

Formation: Councils are long term standing committees of the SCAA formally recognized and supported by the SCAA Board of Directors on the basis of having:
• A clearly defined vision, mission, and purpose.
• Clearly outlined membership qualifications that meet all legal guidelines, including a written process for selecting new members.
• A written election procedure, including a process for nominating and selecting a Chair.
Alignment: Councils will follow the SCAA strategic planning process, creating three-year plans including goals, objectives, and yearly initiatives (tactics). The Council is responsible for achieving goals outlined in their plan and for providing updates as appropriate to the Board of Directors and relevant Committees. Chairs of Councils will be invited to two board meetings per year and the entire Council will be invited to the annual SCAA Leadership Summit, at which Chairs will also be invited to attend a pre-event with the Board of Directors as well as the post-event Board of Directors meeting.

Governance: Councils follow the same guidelines as SCAA for proper governance:
• All Chairs must attend board orientation training at SCAA headquarters.
• All meetings must be run using Roberts Rules of Order.
• Minutes must be taken at all meetings, which shall include an Agenda, who was present, all motions and the results of the votes. Minutes must also be approved by the Council at the next formal meeting.
• Councils must meet face to face at least once per year.
Ric Rhinehart

Re: Committee Announcement

Postby Tim Dominick on Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:33 am

I'd like to thank the SCAA staff and board for a very good event this past weekend. It certainly was nice to catch up on all the growth and change.

Many of us were skeptical and unsure about what exactly all these changes would mean for the concentrated areas of interest under the SCAA umbrella. This event articulated the evolution and progression and put to rest many of my concerns.

Ric, I do expect a line item in the 2010 budget for one beer per day of meetings for each subcommittee member. If you are on more than one, that number should multiply accordingly. It would encourage more participation.
Tim Dominick

full name: Tim Dominick
company: Sacred Grounds Coffee
: www.sacred-grounds.com