Barista Certification

the specialty coffee association of america

Barista Certification

Postby Gabe Smentek on Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:03 pm

I was thinking about getting my barista cert., does anyone have any thoughts on it? Is it worth it? It can get pretty expensive.

At Anaheim there will by lots of classes avaiable to take, but some of them have the prerequisites after the class they require. For example, the class Grind Dose Tamp has 2 prerequisites: Intro to Espresso 1 and 2. But Grind Dose Tamp takes place BEFORE Intro to Espresso 1 and 2.

http://www.scaaexposition.org/?p=labs

Thanks Yo.
Gabe Smentek

full name: Gabe S
company: Oren's Daily Roast
: www.orensdailyroast.com

Re: Barista Certification

Postby Piero Cristiani on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:55 am

I think it depends on your current skill as a barista and why you want the certification.

Will the certification itself help your development within your current company or within a prospect company?

And also, is the class advanced enough (relative to your current skill set) to learn something you don't know?
Piero Cristiani

full name: Piero Cristiani
company: .Cafe Imports
: http://cafeimports.com

Postby Heather Perry on Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:55 pm

Hi Gabe,

The reason we set things the classes upi that way is so that people who haven't taken the prereq's don't sign up for classes they aren't prepared to take. It helps us to ensure that the level of learning stays high in the higher education classes. Now you can test out of the Level 1 classes, and you can even test out of it before conference. Anne Nylander in New york is actually a credentialed examiner and you can contact her directly to take the Level 1 exam if you feel you are already competent in that level of learning. That way, at conference you are ready to move on to the Level 2 classes.

The certification has a lot of higher education learning that people are really excited about and finding a lot of value in.

If you have any questions about certification please feel free to contact me directly at heather@klatchroasting.com, or by calling me at 951-318-6947

Hope this helps!

Heather
Heather Perry
Coffee Klatch
klatchroasting.com
Heather Perry

Postby Gabe Smentek on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:18 am

Thanks for the info Heather!
Gabe Smentek

full name: Gabe S
company: Oren's Daily Roast