The Schultz memo floating around

the business of coffee houses

Postby Jim Schulman on Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:37 am

Two can play the leak game
Jim Schulman
coffeecuppers.com
Jim Schulman

Postby paul_pratt on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:25 pm

[quote="phaelon56"] I was told that the 'bucks was still buying and installing traditional espresso machines and grinders in certain foreign markets.....quote]

Yep. A lot of Asia still uses Lineas and new ones arriving all the time.
paul_pratt

full name: Paul Pratt
company: Cafelat

john moore

Postby Rich Westerfield on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:32 pm

FWIW, John Moore, who used to be marketing director for both SBUX and Whole Foods, and remains a staunch SBUX supporter, has offered candid thoughts on Schultz's memo on his Brand Autopsy blog. Of special note, a post where he notes that every single decision Schultz decries, Schultz himself decreed.

I'll note that it was JM whom last year offered up the idea that some smart marketer would soon build a brand specifically around latte art, with coffee quality being secondary.

John's a pretty savvy guy, but extremely corporate-think - I've had numerous email & text exchanges with him over the past five years on branding and in the past two years, coffee marketing.

It's a good blog to follow if you're interested in the SBUX/WF mindset.
Rich Westerfield, Co-owner
aldocoffee.com
I'm just here to regulate funkiness.
Rich Westerfield

Re: john moore

Postby phaelon56 on Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:05 am

PaniniGuy wrote:I'll note that it was JM whom last year offered up the idea that some smart marketer would soon build a brand specifically around latte art, with coffee quality being secondary.

The good news about that concept (to my way of thinking) is that you need good crema and properly foamed milk in order to do latte art. Granted - the espresso can still taste like crap (and sometimes does) but the overwhelming majority of shops I've visited that pour latte art also do a good job with coffee and espresso in general.

I can see that slipping if it gets wrapped into a chain concept. And I do see the danger in the mainstream associating latte art with truly high quality drinks. The slippery slope of getting people to associate a specific brand/concept with espresso/coffee quality has already been opened wide by Starbucks.
Last edited by phaelon56 on Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Re: john moore

Postby nick on Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:10 am

phaelon56 wrote:The good news about that concept (to my way of thinking) is that you need good crema and properly foamed milk in order to do latte art.

Actually, that's not true. You can do latte art just fine without any crema. :shock:
Nick Cho
nick

full name: Nicholas Cho
company: Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters
: http://nickcho.com
: http://wreckingballcoffee.com/

Postby Jimmy Oneschuk on Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:12 am

Hmmmm... you know, what's probably more important in this case isn't actually the degradation of quality, but rather, public perception of degradation of quality. Starbies is more likely to act if they think the threat of the hype around this memo will make an impact on the public mindset regarding their brand.
Jimmy Oneschuk

full name: Jimmy Oneschuk
company: Museo
: espressolab.ca

Previous