floored

the business of coffee houses

floored

Postby )on on Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:18 pm

Fridge placement and Kevin's undercounter curtains have got me thinking...

What is everyone's choice (whether you actually have it now or not) floor material at the bar... and why?
)on Lewis
cup of excellence
)on

full name: Jon Lewis
company: Deeper Roots Coffee
: www.deeperrootscoffee.com

Postby gabelucas on Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:06 pm

We have a tiled floor behind the bar at Ritual, hard to clean and hard on the joints. I wish however that it was just made out of that wonderful rubber material that puts a spring in your step and supports the joints. Kevin from Gimme! had his Spartan Airstream espresso bar floor made of it. It felt amazing.
Gabriel Boscana
Director of Coffee and co-founder
Paramo Coffee Roasters
San Francisco, CA
gabelucas

full name: Gabriel Boscana
company: Paramo Coffee Roasters

Postby onocoffee on Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:32 pm

At Jay's Shave Ice we had ceramic tile on the floors with those rubber kitchen mats that Gabe mentions. The mats were cool-looking (looked like a real pro), comfy but a real PITA to clean every night - especially when they started to deteriorate.

But comfy. You should get Eileen to spring for some. They're three feet deep and cost around $45 per mat.

At Spro Coffee we started out with plain old white linoleum tile but recently had some very nice Karndean International commercial tile installed. Very nice, not hard on the feet like ceramic and seems to be hard-wearing.

For the Nail Salon project I'm thinking about stripping the carpeting and going with concrete floors because I'm cheap and it could look rather modern.

One flooring I would avoid for the food environment is the laminate flooring a la Pergo. Nice stuff - as long as it stays dry. Start getting it wet and it's a world of hurt.
Jay Caragay

Lono
new explorations in coffee + cuisine.
onocoffee

full name: Jay Caragay
company: spiral jetty
: www.sprocoffee.com
: onocoffee.blogspot.com

Postby Mike Gregory on Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:20 pm

Yemm & Hart makes a product from recycled car tires that would probably work well.

http://www.yemmhart.com/materials/tirev ... veneer.htm
Mike Gregory

full name: Mike Gregory
company: Independent

Postby phaelon56 on Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:21 am

All the stores I work in have ceramic tile floors with two of the large rubber shock mats mentioned above - one for the machine operator and another for the area at the cash register.

As for sore legs and feet from ong hours on tile or other hard surfaces - get yerself a pair of these

http://www.dansko.com/Product_Detail.aspx?StyleName=Professional%20(Men)&ID1=206&ID2=020202&VID=701

There's a reason why it's the shoe of choice for most surgeons and chefs - two occupations that often involve long hours of standing in a confined space.

Back when I worked in the non-coffee related retail/wholesale business I tried a wide variety of shoes and sneakers for working on hard surfaces with long days on my feet. It wasn't until I tried the Dansko's that the crapy / sore/tried feeling in my feet and legs disappeared after long shifts.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Postby barry on Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:53 pm

onocoffee wrote:For the Nail Salon project I'm thinking about stripping the carpeting and going with concrete floors because I'm cheap and it could look rather modern.

have a look at these soy-based stains: http://www.ecosafetyproducts.com/Archit ... n-s/61.htm

we used "sandstone" for the new store, with "burgundy wine" for the women's restroom and "caribbean blue" for the men's room.
barry

full name: T. Barry Jarrett
company: Coffee Projects Inc.

Postby barrett on Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:55 pm

those big rubber mats get clean easily if you pop them in the dishwasher at the end of the night - especially important if they have had a milk spill. :shock:
Barrett Jones
blog@ http://www.dwelltime.net
barrett