Grinder placement (while we're at it)

the business of coffee houses

Grinder placement (while we're at it)

Postby Mike Gregory on Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:26 pm

Espresso grinders - better kept..

- next to and inline w/ espresso machine

- next to and at a 90 degree angle from espresso machine

- on the back counter, a couple feet behind the barista, with constant turning around?

Please share your experiences.
Mike Gregory

full name: Mike Gregory
company: Independent

Postby onocoffee on Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:47 am

At Jay's Shave Ice, the grinders were immediately to the left of the Linea 3AV on an "L" shape. Pulling shots? Just turn to your left to grind. No side stepping.

At Spro Coffee, we started out with the grinders on the left side of the 3AV but I really hated the side-stepping issue. Just felt unnatural to me: all this shuffling around. So we tossed them onto a worktop freezer behind the machine. Strangely enough, it feels much more fluid.

I first started using the "on the back counter" grinders when working the bar at Hines. Then, it was Hornall who reminded me about that layout when I was visiting Chestnut Hill back in the summer. I definitely like it better than the "on the side" setup, plus two people can work the machine and not have to cross the machine for grinding or increase your expense by adding double grinders.
Jay Caragay

Lono
new explorations in coffee + cuisine.
onocoffee

full name: Jay Caragay
company: spiral jetty
: www.sprocoffee.com
: onocoffee.blogspot.com

Postby Brent on Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:14 pm

We have our grinders to the right of the machine, for no real reason other than the machine is on the hard left of the counter.

I have customers who have the grinder on the left of the machine, and that didn't seem a problem to me either.

What seems to make a difference is how accessible the grinder switch is, and what space is in the immediate area for whatever ritual you perform between grinding and extraction...
Brent
Brent

full name: Brent
company: .

Postby barrett on Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:02 pm

At Arti, 4/5 have the grinders on the right. I prefer them that way, but the way the system works, i think it's actually easier to have them on the left, that way when one person is steaming, the coffee can go directly in next to them, rather than them having to move the milk. (This has to happen ever time you use the group directly to the right of the steam wand.

When I grind, both grinders are pulled super close, to the front of the counter, almost touching, so that I can pretty much not move at all. 5 group is another story though. No getting out of moving on that one.
Barrett Jones
blog@ http://www.dwelltime.net
barrett