SCAA Vendor Contacts???

the business of coffee houses

SCAA Vendor Contacts???

Postby onocoffee on Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:53 pm

Just wondering how many of you who attended SCAA last month and spoke with potential new vendors have actually been contacted by those vendors?

After attending both SCAA and the National Restaurant Association and now waiting a month, NONE of the vendors I spoke with, left contact information with and expressed absolute interest in ordering their products have contacted me regarding.

On the other hand, all of the vendors I wanted to make contact with at NRA have either contacted me regarding or sent product samples for closer evaluation.

All that money, time, personnel and effort expended to exhibit at SCAA and no one follows up on the call???

I'm interested in what experiences other retailers have had.
Jay Caragay

Lono
new explorations in coffee + cuisine.
onocoffee

full name: Jay Caragay
company: spiral jetty
: www.sprocoffee.com
: onocoffee.blogspot.com

Postby Goatherd on Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:24 pm

I've had two of about twenty vendors contact me so far.
Michael
Wandering Goat Coffee Co.

Coffee is an event.
Goatherd

Postby barry on Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:10 pm

i don't think any of them have.

there was one vendor that we visited three years in a row, expressed serious interest in their product, and never ever heard from them. <shrug>
barry

full name: T. Barry Jarrett
company: Coffee Projects Inc.

Postby Mark Prince on Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:20 am

So Jay, what do you think is the cause? Different class of vendor? Different setups to collect info at the shows? What is it?

I had my card thing scanned by a total of three vendors I was interested in, and none of them contacted me since the show either. I ended up contacting one of them because, well, I really wanted prices on something.

Mark
Mark Prince
Just in it for the espresso and coffee, Vancouver BC
Mark Prince

full name: Mark Prince
company: CoffeeGeek.com
: www.CoffeeGeek.com

Postby onocoffee on Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:36 am

I don't know if they're a "different class of vendor" but exhibiting at a trade show such as SCAA isn't cheap. It's a considerable investment that (I would think) needs to payoff somehow. For the vendors I spoke with and gave my contact information to, I presume they need to develop leads from these trade shows and turn them into sales.

I'm very selective about who I give my contact information to at trade shows. If they have a product I'm interested in, I'll speak with the rep and pointedly tell them that I'm interested in purchasing and to contact me in the near future. After several years in the business, I pretty much know what I want and am not interested in wasting my time by casually browsing their wares and chatting away my time.

As of this morning, I still have not heard from one SCAA vendor that I gave my contact information to. It's a shame too because I came across some interesting items that I wanted to investigate further but no longer can remember what they were - and I'm not pressed to hunt them down to give them my companys' money.

Comparatively, I've been fielding calls and e-mails from most, if not all, the vendors I spoke with at the National Restaurant Association show. I don't think it's about the method of collecting info at the shows - at the NRA I saw various methods of "capturing" the badge data. Companies in both industries need to generate revenue and profit so they can't be that different.

What I wonder is if the vendors of the Specialty Coffee Industry actually take our industry seriously.
Jay Caragay

Lono
new explorations in coffee + cuisine.
onocoffee

full name: Jay Caragay
company: spiral jetty
: www.sprocoffee.com
: onocoffee.blogspot.com

Postby Matt Milletto on Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:38 am

As a "vendor" we followed up with every lead we took within 48 hours, then also again within 7 days. Jay's right, these shows are so expensive, it seems crazy that a company would not try to garner all the business it could from those leads.

strange ...

- Matt
matt milletto
american barista & coffee school
http://www.coffeeschool.org
Matt Milletto

full name: Matt Milletto
company: American Barista & Coffee School
: http://www.coffeeschool.org
: http://www.baristaexchange.com

Postby Rich Westerfield on Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:30 am

onocoffee wrote:I don't know if they're a "different class of vendor" but exhibiting at a trade show such as SCAA isn't cheap. It's a considerable investment that (I would think) needs to payoff somehow. For the vendors I spoke with and gave my contact information to, I presume they need to develop leads from these trade shows and turn them into sales.

Comparatively, I've been fielding calls and e-mails from most, if not all, the vendors I spoke with at the National Restaurant Association show. I don't think it's about the method of collecting info at the shows - at the NRA I saw various methods of "capturing" the badge data. Companies in both industries need to generate revenue and profit so they can't be that different.

What I wonder is if the vendors of the Specialty Coffee Industry actually take our industry seriously.

Jay,
Coming out of the show industry I can tell you that across all industries, on average, 80% of leads collected at trade shows are never followed up on.

There is no "standard" on classifying "A", "B" and "C" leads, although there are many references out there for exhibitors to use (TSEA, Event magazine and Exhibitor magazine to name three).

A company in Chicago actually created a profitable business of taking a company's leads, faxing to them within 48 hours and then charging the company providing the raw leads for those that they re-qualified. Seems crazy, but it's true.

At a minimum it sounds like SCAA could do more exhibitor training in advance - webcasts, DVDs or similar (doing it onsite is usually worthless). There is also a difference in nationality of the company - many non-US companies never follow up - just not their culture.

Anyway, it's not an SCAA-specific problem. Sounds more like the NRA has invested more energy in training exhibitors on how to get more from their show - plus NRA is a more vertical event and their salespeople probably have to do more hardselling on the ROI - which generally necessitates better customer service and training.

Now I have to get back to my vacation...
Rich Westerfield, Co-owner
aldocoffee.com
I'm just here to regulate funkiness.
Rich Westerfield

Postby phaelon56 on Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:10 am

That is a bit odd. I've been to exactly one "Coffee fest" - a fart smaller show than SCAA and one that likely costs the exhibitors less for a booth. And nearly all of the handful of vendors I gave business cards to followed up with me by email (even though I hadn't asked them to.

One guy even began emailing me his "specials" and other info so relentlessly that it really bordered on becoming spam - I had to email him three times to request a stop before he finally complied.
Owen O'Neill
Syracuse NY

Phaelon Coffee
and
New York Central Coffee Roasters
phaelon56

full name: Owen O'Neill
company: Phaelon Coffee / New York Central Coffee

Postby barry on Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:44 am

phaelon56 wrote:"Coffee fest" - a fart smaller show than SCAA

:lol: :lol: :lol:

good one.