flavored coffees

the business of coffee houses

flavored coffees

Postby Jim Saborio on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:08 am

We've always listed tasting notes on our coffee menu. I've recently become concerned that many people are getting turned off because they think we mix rhubarb, Dutch cocoa and hints of tangerine zest into our coffees.

I'm delighted to see that consumers have become so adverse to flavored coffees in these parts... but I don't want them thinking we flavor ours.

I realized that we had reached crisis stage when I over-heard one lady explaining to her friend that we actually roast our Beloya with blueberries.

On the menus, I've now clarified "tasting notes: (our coffees are never flavored)" but it seems a bit condescending to the rest of us. Anyone else have a similar problem?
-JIm

...aaannndd the Starbucks down the street just got a Clover
Jim Saborio

full name: Jim Saborio
company: Comet Coffee
: http://twitter.com/cometcoffee

Re: flavored coffees

Postby Alistair Durie on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:33 am

"can I have the Ethiopian but without the raspberry", I remember a woman ordering from our brewed menu.

It would often throw people off. We reprinted with the subheading "Tasting Notes: ... "
Alistair Durie
Elysian Coffee | photos | tweets
Alistair Durie
admin

full name: Alistair Durie
company: Elysian Coffee
: www.elysiancoffee.com
: www.coffeed.com

Re: flavored coffees

Postby Piero Cristiani on Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:01 am

I've had similar experiences at Black Sheep, where I'm currently working. I've had to explain that they are notes and not as if you where biting a blueberry for example. Some people don't seem to grasp the concept of "tasting notes" though, which makes it a bit harder to explain.

People are used to syrups and flat coffee. What should we expect? -- Just keep educating.
Piero Cristiani

full name: Piero Cristiani
company: .Cafe Imports
: http://cafeimports.com