Moral question: staff doing outside training

the business of coffee houses

Moral question: staff doing outside training

Postby seankohmescher on Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:47 pm

We are a company that does training for our staff, as well as others.

Should a staff member do outside training or should it be paid to the business if they are contacted at work individually regarding the services?

Or does it even matter how they are contacted because the company is the one who has trained them?

What are the rules of contact?

It is obvious that if a company was contacted for training that the company would bill them, but what about an individual?

Any thoughts?
seankohmescher

full name: sean kohmescher
company: temple fine coffee and tea
: www.templecoffee.com

Re: A Moral Question

Postby Brent on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:17 pm

seankohmescher wrote:Should a staff member do outside training or should it be paid to the business if they are contacted at work individually regarding the services?

Um, if I understand the question, you have staff who conduct training, who are getting other approaches outside of work to do more training.

I have worked (and still do) in IT for years, in various capacities. The rule of thumb that seemed to work really well was to step through each approach
- Is it a client? - no brainer - don't cross the line - any work is billed through the boss!
- Could it be a client? - no brainer - tell the boss you have a possible new client, is it of interest, if not you will do it anyway. The response determines the outcome, and if the Boss says we don't want the work, you / the employee can persue the work outside work hours.
- would never be a client - good form says tell the boss you are doing it
- is it a friend? discuss the situation with the boss and run with the decision. Often the only reason a friend asks for help is they want it done in return for another favour - clear it with the boss if there is a chance of a conflict.

I ran those basic rules from both sides of the equation. Indeed I actively encouraged one staff member to chase extra work - the upskill was of benefit to both him and the company.

Equally, I have done work for charities, and occaisionally with full consent of my employer during work hours.

seankohmescher wrote:Or does it even matter how they are contacted because the company is the one who has trained them?

I guess I would say apply the rules above :)

seankohmescher wrote:It is obvious that if a company was contacted for training that the company would bill them, but what about an individual?

Aside from a friend asking a friend for help, I would apply the above rules. If someone has a cash issue, surely that is part of the discussion and parameters for training or whatever it is they want?

I have a day job that has no conflict with our coffee business. However, the seperation is complete - except when my boss asks me for information about coffee... So most of my clients don't know I have any association with coffee, those that do were not told by me about the coffee. That seperation is my call, and what I am comfortable with. It means when my boss asks, I can say without hesitation there is no crossover (aside from I use my office as a shipping point)

Somewhere in there is the right level of seperation, and it needs to work well for you as the boss, and the staff as employees.

I have always let staff do homejobs with company resources as I see it as a means to extend skills, as long as I am not as the employer losing revenue or incurring extra costs.

thats my thoughts...
Brent
Brent

full name: Brent
company: .

Re: A Moral Question

Postby seankohmescher on Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:00 am

Very thorough answer.

I thought there would be some kind of break down that was not "cut and dry" or "black and white."

thank you
seankohmescher

full name: sean kohmescher
company: temple fine coffee and tea
: www.templecoffee.com