washed vs semi washed - let the customers decide

the business of coffee houses

washed vs semi washed - let the customers decide

Postby scottlucey on Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:25 pm

It's somewhat an experiment but more so something we're doing to get consumers excited about having such detailed coffees to choose from.

This next week we're having a 'crown the champ' special - at Alterra our offering from Costa Rica is known as "Campeon del Valle" (champion of the valley) which is the product of a wonderful relationship we have with Coope Dota.
What we're doing is featuring two 'day lots' - lots that represent one complete days harvest from the many farmers that submit their coffee to Coope Dota.
One of these lots is fully washed one is semi-washed (honey) - and since our coffees from Costa Rica go by the name "Campeon" we thought we'd encourage our customers to vote on their prefered Costa, washed or honey.

This shall be interesting...
for more details check out the alterra coffee website. (linkable below) - stay tuned for results!

scott lucey
flickr
Milwaukee WI
scottlucey

full name: Scott Lucey
company: Kickapoo Coffee Roasters
: kickapoocoffee.com

Re: washed vs semi washed - let the customers decide

Postby Rich Westerfield on Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:53 pm

You Milwaukee kids are doing some wonderful stuff.

Wish we had a local roaster as progressive. Might have to do something about that.
Rich Westerfield, Co-owner
aldocoffee.com
I'm just here to regulate funkiness.
Rich Westerfield

Postby Andy Schecter on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:25 pm

scottlucey wrote:This shall be interesting...
for more details check out the alterra coffee website. (linkable below) - stay tuned for results

Scott, you go, guy! I don't know who will win, but I hope it's by KO...hate those split decisions. ;-)
-AndyS
Schectermatic(tm), the oldest, most trusted brand of espresso grinder shnozzola
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
Andy Schecter

Postby Alan Frew on Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:25 am

I cupped several of the current CR Tarrazu microlots in May, including the semi washed, otherwise known as Miel. The Miel dry fragrance alone is a winner, 2x or 3x the intensity of the washed coffees, and the flavour explosion in the cup (along with the increased body) is a revelation.
If I could get enough of it, this would be the Tarrazu coffee I'd offer all the time. Sadly, 2 x 69kg bags are my lot for this year.

Alan
Alan Frew

full name: Alan Frew
company: Coffee for Connoisseurs
: www.coffeeco.com.au

Postby Michael Phillips on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:31 pm

I held a tasting event like this at our broadway shop. We had two coffees from finca Santa Teresa in Panama that were the same altitude and varietal but one was pulped natural (semi washed/honey) and the other was washed. The event was more focused on getting people to think about processing and how it effects coffee as opposed to the Panama itself. We brewed them side by side along with a Brazil pulped natural and an El Salvador washed to give a bit more perspective. Every one loved it and were somewhat evenly split between the two processes. One of our guys blogged about it here.

http://chi.intelligentsiacoffee.com/?p=14

Nice job and have fun with it Scott!
Michael Phillips

full name: Michael Phillips
company: Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea
: http://intelligentsiacoffee.com