2007 Nicaragua Cup of Excellence

coffee competitions, auctions, best of panama, etc

2007 Nicaragua Cup of Excellence

Postby Mark Prince on Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:51 am

The CoE Nic auction looks to be over, with a very juicy median, and a new record setting (for Nicaragua) winner at $47.06.

http://www.cupofexcellence.org/CountryP ... fault.aspx

Some monumental coffees in there.

Mark
Mark Prince
Just in it for the espresso and coffee, Vancouver BC
Mark Prince

full name: Mark Prince
company: CoffeeGeek.com
: www.CoffeeGeek.com

Postby Peter G on Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:57 pm

A big day for Nicaragua fo sho.

This definitely casts the recent discussions about auction prices in a new light, right? Very nice coffees in there, including but not limited to the top 10!

And, (gotta strut for a minute)...

Finca Esperanza Verde, who we have been working with for 10 years, and who are sort of our model farm, kicked butt this year, I had to pay over six bucks to retain bragging rights for their coffee! Awesome.

In fact, 3 counter culture employees and 4 of our customers actually PICKED AND SORTED some of the COE winning lot while they were staying there in January.

Sorry to sound braggadocious, but I am excited and proud and wanted to share with my coffeed family.

(strutting mode off)
Peter Giuliano
Specialty Coffee Association of America
Peter G

full name: Peter Giuliano
company: Specialty Coffee Association of America

Postby Steve on Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:41 pm

Got to love that strutting mode :)

Great auction, tough to the end some huge coffees very pleased with it. One down four to go :)
Stephen Leighton
http://www.hasbean.co.uk
Steve

Postby Timothy Hill on Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:25 am

I usually don't speculate, but Nicaragua had 33 coffees for auction, and coming up Guatemala only has 19 and El Salvador has 23. If the competition for these coffees was this fierce over 33 What are the prices for the coming auctions going to be like? (Also with El Salvador the fact that the winner is this super complex Pacamara like Los Planes was last year.) This is going to be a wild Cup of Excellence year. I am bracing for the ride. Exciting stuff.
Timothy Hill
Counter Culture Coffee
Timothy Hill

Postby terry on Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:51 am

Peter,

Finca Esperanza Verde was one of my favs in the COE top 10. Congrats on your purchase.

We were able to secure a couple bags of Lot #4 Las Termopilas, via Cafe Imports, and are also very excited to offer this great coffee to our customers.
Terry Z
Espressoparts.com
Olympiacoffee.com
terry

Postby SL28ave on Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:07 am

Congrats on the Esperanza Verde! I liked that coffee a lot, along with my two personal faves, Las Golondrinas and El Sauce. And these Nicaraguans cupped awesome in general!! (Though, there wasn't a *complete* absence of potholes, but we're ALL still learning.)

Yeah, CoE is definitely having an awesome year in regards to quality. First we received the Pedra Preta Brazil in prime condition, thanks to non-jute packaging. I gave the Esperanza Colombia around 98 pts, Colombian "essence" that's as smooth as a cloud, which we should be receiving tomorrow. Huge thanks and cheers to Stumptown for teaming up on that one.

Tim, I can't wait to cup the El Salvadors here. (perhaps more to say in public *after* the auction :lol: ) Did you see that the Rank#1 Guat is a Pacamara, too?

Yummy times!
-Peter Lynagh
SL28ave

full name: Peter Lynagh
company: student