2007 Costa Rica Cup of Excellence

coffee competitions, auctions, best of panama, etc

2007 Costa Rica Cup of Excellence

Postby Mark Prince on Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:46 am

Interesting results for the first CoE out of Costa Rica:

Costa Rica CoE Auction Results

Two years ago (or was it three now), a $21, $22 top coffee got massive press. Today? Maybe it will - who knows. I think it's huge news. Congrats to Mercanta and the others for their winning lots - can't wait to try some of these!

Mark, who's got over 85 coffee samples to plow through next week.
Mark Prince
Just in it for the espresso and coffee, Vancouver BC
Mark Prince

full name: Mark Prince
company: CoffeeGeek.com
: www.CoffeeGeek.com

Postby sarahdelilah on Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:18 pm

Ken from Barista Mag attended the Costa Rica CoE. His article about it will appear in the August/September issue. Though he attended as an observer, he was allowed to cup along with the judges and he said everyone was super excited by several of the coffees.
sarah allen
yet another blog: baristamagazine.com/blog
sarahdelilah

full name: Sarah Allen
company: Barista Magazine
: http://baristamagazine.com

Postby Steve on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:42 am

Some great coffees in there, a strange auction when it comes to price, some real value which is not sometihng I like to see in this kind of comp.

I'm interested to hear others opinions.
Stephen Leighton
http://www.hasbean.co.uk
Steve

Postby Jim Schulman on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:39 am

Steve wrote:Some great coffees in there, a strange auction when it comes to price, some real value which is not something I like to see in this kind of comp.

I'm interested to hear others opinions.

You guys had to bid a bit to get the Miel. I'm sorry I won;t get a chance to try it.
Jim Schulman
coffeecuppers.com
Jim Schulman

Postby Tim Dominick on Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:34 pm

There were a few beautiful coffees in this auction. #3 the Helsar de Zarcero was a miel with a good portion of the mucilage removed so it was very subtle. Ricardo was going big with a 28 bag lot, at $4.65 per pound it isn't that much more than one would pay for his regular production. #16 was also from the Miramontes micro-mill and a very nice coffee that will make Sweet Maria's customers very happy, interestingly it was @.60 more than the #3.

#1 was head and shoulders above the rest during the last day of competition. Really punch you in the face jasmine, and a consensus favorite

Bigger lots... 28,25,36,27,32,39 bags, this has an impact on price as well, hard to get a buying group together and there are only a few larger outfits who can pay top dollar for a 39 bag lot.

All in all it is better than last year's Crop of Gold auction which saw some $1.50 coffees. That was really bad considering most Costa Rica SHB blenders will run near $2 a pound.
Tim Dominick

full name: Tim Dominick
company: Sacred Grounds Coffee
: www.sacred-grounds.com

Postby David Kastle on Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:44 pm

Tim - yes yes yes.

- some of the lot sizes were way too big (which was a problem with the Q auctions)

- cosecha de oro was always a troubled auction, so it is no wonder that the first Costa COE would be screwy

- you know how a certain percentage of roasters have no respect for Colombian coffees, partly because they feel forced to use them due to all the Juan Valdez promotion, and partly because a lot of Colos aren't very good? Well, the same attitude persists with Costas, and for the same reason quality-wise, and deservedly so. There are a lot of truly amazing Central & West Valley coffees, ditto Tarrazu and Tres Rios, but there is a lot of dull coffee there too, not to mention the more recent plantings in areas that should be planted with ferns or Dell factories instead.
David Kastle

full name: David Kastle
company: Swiss Water Decaffeinated Coffee Co USA
: www.swisswater.com