Rwanda Pulls out of COE for 2009

coffee competitions, auctions, best of panama, etc

Rwanda Pulls out of COE for 2009

Postby Poul Mark on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:13 am

I received this email yesterday, as many others did too, I would imagine.

"It is with sadness and frustration that we need to inform you that OCIR Café has postponed the second Rwanda Cup of Excellence event to 2010.

The Executive Director of OCIR Café Alex Kanyankole indicated to me in a recent email that there are too many other activities and major short term reforms that the organization is involved in as the reason there will not be a 2009 program.

We know many of you have been deeply involved in the progress that the Rwandan coffee farmers have made with their quality and have supported the infrastructure development and momentum that finally led to the 2008 Cup of Excellence. We can only hope that OCIR Café sees the importance of Cup of Excellence to their quality coffee farmers and that it is willing to support the program wholeheartedly in the future.

Best Regards
Susie"

It is amazing to me, how short sighted governments and their respective institutions can be. Governments tend to be too busy with the stuff that doesn't matter, to be committed to the stuff that does. After all of the promise of the Rwandan coffees last year, the program goes off-line, and the folks that are affected the most are the farmers.
Cheers,
Poul Mark

Passionate Student of Coffee
Poul Mark

full name: Poul Mark
company: Transcend Coffee
: www.transcendcoffee.com
: www.transcendcoffeeblog.com

Re: Rwanda Pulls out of COE for 2009

Postby sweetmarias on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:01 pm

it took me 7 months to receive my coe lots, and there are 4 national winner lots we signed up for stranded there, hopelessly. ocir cafe, well-intentioned, appears to be inexperienced and incompetent logistically. it raises some doubts too about to what degree some of the washing stations really wanted this to work out. everyone there said, over and over, that good post-auction logisitcs would make or break the reputation of rwanda coe. i am not sure if nobody heard that, whether they heard and could not follow through, or whether some parties just weren't interested enough to make it all work. certainly, not trying again in '09 makes me wonder...
let's cup through this ... together.
http://www.sweetmarias.com | http://www.coffeeshrub.com
sweetmarias

full name: thompson r owen
company: sweet maria's
: www.sweetmarias.com
: www.coffeeshrub.com